Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson J90 wiring?

Hey folks...
    I found an old J90 that I thought I sold a long time ago. I was going to install it again, but damn if I can figure out the wiring due to the color codes! There's a brown wire, white, orange, etc. I remember that 2 of them are supposed to be twisted and soldered, and the other 2 are lead and ground, but I can't remember what's what. Anybody out there know?

Re: Jackson J90 wiring?

The J90 should have green, black, red, and white. The red and white are soldered together unless you're going to coil tap. The green is ground and the black is hot. Hope this helps.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

MM...
      I must have Ye Olde J90! The wire colors are brown, white, orange and green. Is there a way I could test them? Put a meter on them or something?

Comment

No J-90 left the factory with orange or brown leads. Either it's been refitted or someone added extensions. You can use a mulit meter to determine the various functions of each lead. Try grounding the bare with another and take readings. The most K ohms on any wire will be the hot output. About half of that will be the series link (coil tapped) section.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yep, somebody must have re-wired it or added extensions. Is it possible that the red and black have faded and look like orange and brown?? Cut the sleeve back a little and see if the colors are the same. I'll bet you find that they're faded.

Comment

What is a bare wire? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It means "Nekkid" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The bare wire is the braided sheilding that goes to ground.
                My guess it the wire tubing has faded or come in contact with a chemical or something and they faded. Assuming they are Try the wiring of red (orange) and white together. Black (brown) as hot and the green and bare wire to ground.
                Gil

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It means "Nekkid" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But seriously, what is it? Is it the ground wire from the pickups that isn't in the 4-wire lead?

Comment

I've got a J90-C that I got from a JCF-er that has Bare, Black, Red, Brown, and Orange. They aren't discolored, those are the colors.

From the meter, Black is hot, Brown and Red together are the coil tapped, and Bare and Orange are ground.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Keith
                    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Working...
                    X