Which pickups for my Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pickups for my Les Paul?

Hey guys. I'm about to replace the stock pickups on my Les Paul Classic. I have several pickups in mind, but I don't know which to choose, that's why I ask for your help. I'd like to get a sound like In Flames or like Killswitch Engage. Here are the pickups that I'm deciding on: EMG 81/85, Seymour Duncan Invader/Dimebucker/Jazz, Dimarzio Distortion/Tone Zone/Paf. Which ones would you reccomend? The guitar body is mahogany, so I want something that sounds a bit bright since the stock pickups are not up to my standards. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Which pickups for my Les Paul?

For mahogany, I'd go with the EMG 81/81. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Everyone's got their own opinion on these things of course, but I suggest a '59 in the neck and a Distortion in the bridge.

On one of my Pauls I have a DM1 and DM2 setup, which after 30 years still sound amazing, but you can't get those anymore.

Comment

How about the dimebucker? Does it have enough gain to be compared with an EMG-81?

Comment

I've got a '59 in the neck and a Custom 5 in the bridge of my Les Paul. Works great for what I use her for (Classic rock tones and such), but the C-5 can get you some serious gain when pushed.

-Kenn

Comment

Originally posted by It's All In My H3ad:
            How about the dimebucker? Does it have enough gain to be compared with an EMG-81?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think a Dimebucker will easilly beat any EMG in the output department. This is from what I've heard - I've personally never used a Dimebucker.

'bane

Comment

If you're going to stay with a passive pup, I wouldn't even bother with a Dimebucker. Just go with a real Bill Lawrence pup like they were modeled after, or go for a DiMarzio X2N.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Toejam,how do those pickups sound?

Comment

Working...
                X