Nuts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts....

What are the differences in nut material as far as sound or any other for that matter. Like what is the difference between using bone or brass, or graphite? I even heard of a half bone half brass nut.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Nuts....

Softer materials theoretically dissipate vibration through to the wood beneath, whereas a denser material like brass would, theoretically, prolong the vibration, or specifically the string's oscillation if the breakpoint was sharp enough (i.e. a tilt-back head would have a sharper breakpoint).

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, cool but in English what kind of material do I want to use for a new nut [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously this guitar looks as if it has a plastic nut on it, I don't beleive it is graphite and I just want to know what to replace it with.

It has a tilt back headstock. It seems like the strings are buzzing on the nut as opposed to frets when I hit them open.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

A bone nut would be a good choice but everybody has a different preference. SO it's still up to you. And IMO, bone nut last longer than graphite.

Cham

Comment

I agree with Cham on the bone, they sound great....but prepare for the stinch when you start grinding on that puppy! (unless you find one already shaped)
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

A good, long-lasting alternative to bone is the Tusq nut made by the folks at GraphTech. StewMac sells the blanks. Also, if you want to know if that current nut is graphite or not, sand a very small amount of it over a piece of white paper then smudge it with your finger. If it smears like pencil, it's graphite.

Comment

Working...
            X