Tuning problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning problems

I'm still haveing tuning issues with my Iceman, it's my first TOM bridge as I said in another post,I have stretched the strings to deat wrapped them securely around the tuners and they still keep going flat whenever I do some serious bending on them, especially the G string.

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Even though it was Ibanez's top of the line Iceman, it has these no name tuners on it and they aren't even screwed into the headstock. Can this be the problem. I love the guitar for what I am using it for and done' want to get rid of it, but after haveing a Floyd all my life, I can't stand to be out of tune.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Tuning problems

Check your nut (no, I'm not being funny [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

It may be catching the "G" a little bit causing the string to go out.

It may be as simple as running a pencil lead in the groove or having it touched up by a tech with a file.

A TOM bridge is usually very stable tuning wise, and usually it is a tuning peg/nut problem.

Comment

The groove on the nut was so tight that I couldn't even get a pencil point in it. I hope it is an issue with the nut just not being cut right, I'm sure that will cost less than new tuners if I have to get those, but as long as I can get it to stay in tune I don't care.

I mentioned in another thread that the nut seems to be plastic and there is a weird kinda sound to the open strings like they are buzzing on the nut and not makeing good contact, but this guitar has the headstock tilted way back.

Should I just replace the nut?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:
        I mentioned in another thread that the nut seems to be plastic and there is a weird kinda sound to the open strings like they are buzzing on the nut and not makeing good contact, but this guitar has the headstock tilted way back.

Should I just replace the nut?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If there's a rattling/buzzin sound coming from the nut while playing on open strings, it's most likly because the strings are not sitting well on the nut. For temporary solution, you can fill the gaps with bone dust or "slim" the nut down yourself.

As for the tuning, you can add some grease/lead on the nut or any contact points of the strings.

Hope this is helpful. Actually, this is pretty much what LPC is talking about only a little more detailed
        Cham

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! By the way, when you get a nut how do you cut it, as far as string spaceing and all. Do they have nuts that are cut already?

Comment

Rick,

here's a link for "nut" cutting/replacing instructions.

http://rfd.cc/aa/nutz/

If this is your first attempt at it(which seems like it), i strongly suggest you get a cheap nut to work on. Or leave it to the professionals.

At the same time while the luthiers(or whatever you call them) is working on it, you can see how it's done.

Almost forgot, if i recall correctly, they do have pre-cutted nuts but you still have to do some shimmin to get the best out of it.

Hope this is helpful
            Cham

Comment

Working...
            X