Car polish on a guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car polish on a guitar?

I have a 2002 Gibson ES-137, the bottom of the line model that has Gibson's crappy "satin" finish on it. Now, This isn't a *nice* satin finish like you'd expect to find on some guitar necks - it just *looks* satin-y instead of glossy. It actually feels kinda sticky most of the time. It's Gibson's idea of cutting cost to make cheaper guitars.

Someone who owns the same kind of guitar has suggested working it over with car polish. Not a wax, but some other sort of polish that is supposed to add depth to the paint. Here is a link to the product: Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish
    It will supposedly help the neck feel smoother too, in addition to making it look glossy.

Has anyone ever heard of using a car polish on a guitar? I wonder how it would hold up in the long run...
    Are there any guitar-specific products that would give a satin finish that glossy look?

Re: Car polish on a guitar?

Car polish works just fine on a guitar.

I use Mothers stuff myself.

If you want something guitar specific, use Dunlop 65 Guitar Polisher and Cleaner. Works great.

(It's actually the same stuff as Mothers California Gold Showtime Spray) , at least it smells and behaves the same.

Comment

In fact, the new Fender guitar care kit comes with 3 different bottles of Maguires stuff. Works great.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I use Zaino's products on my guitars. Works great too!
        "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Nothing But ...

For a fast shine ...I use McGuires Mist and wipe ....then I put on liquid class on my Corvette and all my guitars ...except my Dan Dimas I koa.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

On my Porsche Boxster, I use Zymol. It is the BEST around and I may try it out on my guitars as well.

Comment

Hi in response to your post. As I am a custom guitar maker and have tried just about every product there is only one that I really stick to with outstanding results and that is 3M Hand Glaze or 3M Finesse It,simply cannot be beat.
              Kammo1 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have to clean all sorts of guitars as well as being a full time instrument refinisher. I keep several different products for several different applications. One polish that I use the most is 3M's Body Repair "Fine Cut". You can get it almost anywhere that carries 3M automotive products. That stuff eats up the worst grime and even polishes out 1200 grit sanded finishes (I can even rub out 800 grit if I use my buffer). I do like to follow it up with Maguires #9 swirl remover. A quick note, for anyone who has a guitar with a decal applied over the finish, never use Maguires #2 on your decal! There is something in the fluid that eats most decals.

Comment

Zaino. Especially if you have a dark colored guitar or car... the stuff is so much better than anything else on the market it isn't even funny.

www.zainobros.com

Pete

Comment

I also use the 3M stuff for cut and polish, #39002 Perfect It 2 fine cut (rubbing compound) and #39009 Perfect It swirl mark remover (polish). I like Pledge furniture polish for finish a wax, very light and smooth (smells good in lemon too). I have also heard good things about Zaino wax, but I doubt you can beat the 3M stuff for cut & polishing, the 3M products I mentioned are available at Napa auto parts.

Comment

Originally posted by tmdiamond:
                      On my Porsche Boxster, I use Zymol. It is the BEST around and I may try it out on my guitars as well.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This proves my theory that people with Porsches try to work the fact into EVERY conversation.
                      [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

When I was in college I asked the same question to a friend of mine, I ended using Pledge. The guitar was black and it shines great. But it takes all the dust available plus all the fingerprints lost when it was out of its case.

Comment

I USED to use McGuire's # 2 - but - IMHO {of COURSE}, Doc Dryer's Axe Magic #1 and #2 is the BEST {SHAMELESS PLUG for OWN product [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] }...It is something that I developed with my GOOD Bro - Randy Abbiati {shown pictured here with a couple of his old clunkers - RR 0139 and LTD #88 [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] }, who is an old-school Charvel collector/player - but has worked for YEARS with various types of paint/polymer/plastic finishes...

The Axe Magic #2 is a PASTE that is CAREFULLY worked in with the BARE fingertips in a circular motion, then allowed to dry and buffed with a soft cloth, and is is LESS ABRASIVE that stuff like McGuires #2, Dunlop 65 yellow label, etc. - but it works MIRACLES on light scratches and pick swirling, and can be done OVER and OVER until the imperfection is gone - WITHOUT eating through or dulling a finish IN THE LEAST, leaves NO build-up, and is SAFE on Nitrocellulose Stringed Instrument Lacquer, Poly, enamels and EVERYTHING I have TRIED it on {and works GREAT on plastic like pickguards as well}...

The Axe Magic #1 is a LIQUID {actually - TWO liquids - MIXED} that is applied with ONE PUMP from a pump atomizer bottle ONLY to the front or back, and then buffs VERY EASILY with a clean, soft cloth, and NOT ONLY produces the BEST, MIRROR-LIKE SHINE I have EVER SEEN, it is ALSO useful in reducing static electricity that sucks dust onto finishes - AND REALLY helps retard FINGERPRINTS {THESE were 2 of my BIGGEST GRIPES about black or dark-colored guitars}...

I send out bottles of BOTH my Axe Magic #1 and #2 with every Custom Shop Guitar I build...Ask ANYBODY I have built an axe for if THEY don't LOVE these elixers - I'll TRY to REMEMBER to take some samples to the NAMM Show next month for ANYBODY interested in TRYING it...

It REALLY WORKS WELL !!!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow Doc, those are great! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a "satin" finish, similiar to the "fadeds"?

You wax that guitar with ANYTHING and you'll have a holy mess on your hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X