What do ground loops sound like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do ground loops sound like?

I have replaced my pickups in my SL2H about ten times, and every time I always leave PLENTY of length in the pickup wires.

Recently I have read that they should be as short as possible, for better sound.

Also I have read that there is something called a "ground loop". And that a ground loop makes the guitar sound bad.

What would a ground loop sound like? Would I definitely know if I had one?

Also, what benefit would I get by getting rid of the excess p/u wires that are curled up in the control cavity?

thanks for any responses.

Nandrewjackson [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: What do ground loops sound like?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by nandrewjackson:
      I have replaced my pickups in my SL2H about ten times, and every time I always leave PLENTY of length in the pickup wires.

Recently I have read that they should be as short as possible, for better sound.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] That's complete bull as far as I'm concerned. Even with a multimeter, any difference would probably be hard to measure, let alone hear. Now, let's reverse the argument: Let's say you find an old pickup you want to use, but the wires are too short because some "tone genious" cut them, you'll have to extend them. It's when you extend pickup wires and use thin lousy wire without shielding that you'll be more likely to notice a difference. This is why you shouldn't cut any pickup wires.

Some people say red cars go faster as well...

Also I have read that there is something called a "ground loop". And that a ground loop makes the guitar sound bad.

What would a ground loop sound like? Would I definitely know if I had one?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not sure what is meant here, since we don't have any similar term in my language. I'm sure I've had and heard "ground loops" before, but I don't recognise the term, sorry. =/

'bane

Comment

A ground loop is what occurs when (and I'm straining to remember, so don't take this too literally) equipment is not grounded to the same physical ground. Possible solutions are reversing the polarity of the amp via the switch on the back (although a lot of amps don't have a polarity switch), and removing the ground lug of the plug (DO NOT do this. It's dangerous, and stupid). A strip plug should also work. It sounds just like pickup buzz. It's like a rattlesnake. You'll know it when you hear it. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The pickup wire thing... ignore it. Three more inches of wire isn't going to kill your tone.

Comment

thanks for the replies.

there's no buzzing or anything like that. I was just wondering if I should crack it open and shorten the p/u wires. I won't do it now.
          I can just play it, instead of working on it!

thanks
          nandrewjackson

Comment

Working...
          X