EMG first timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG first timer

I'm thinking about getting two EMG's for my jackson import kelly, an 81 and 85. My dad is firmly against this because he has alot of issues about the space occupied by the battery and how often batteries need changed and such. they don't seem to be much of a hastle as long as your willing to do simple upkeep on your guitar. so my question is, where does the battery go and how often do you/should you change the battery? if you guys could answer this quickly i'd appreciate it. christmas is coming [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: EMG first timer

I would personally install the EMG-85 in the bridge and the EMG-89 in the neck, but seeing as how you're using an EMG-81, put that in the neck.

The battery goes in the control cavity. It will not fit unless you jam it in there. This is the case on my KE3. The plastic cover gets raised right in the middle. It's no problem to me, but it might bother you that the back of the guitar has a "bump" on it.

The battery supposedly lasts 3000 hours. That equates to one month of leaving the EMG-loaded guitar plugged in. To preserve battery life, unplug the cord from the guitar after you're done playing. Even a month of the cable plugged in is quite outstanding.

Comment

You'll know when the battery is starting to die. Your sound will become distorted and the signal may become weaker.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about battery life. In some cases, I've gone for about a year on one Duracell 9v (in a guitar that I would only play occationally).

In some guitars, installing the EMG jack (stereo) can be an issue. This jack is what turns the pickups off when you unplug the guitar. I had a Kramer once that the EMG jack wouldn't fit into, so I dropped the tone control and added an on/off miniswitch for the battery there instead. Not as neat, and I had to remember to turn it off, but it did the job.

Battery space can be an issue in some guitars. If it's cramped in the control cavity, I usually just tape the battery up to insulate it and jam it in there without any sort of foam padding. Works.

'bane

Comment

I had a problem with the jack fitting in my Hamer when I put the chrome 81 set in. WarriorX7 just put in another stereo jack he had lying around, and all is fine. Just wrap the battery in electrical tape or the foam that the pickups come with. Battery life should be about a year or so with regular use. And definitely try the 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge. You can always swap them easily enough to see if you like it the other way.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
          X