lock nut/neck questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lock nut/neck questions

I'll probably be thought of as a moron for not knowing the answer to these but, oh well...nutn nu.

I bought a sweet maple/maple Jackson USA neck brand new condition. It is not locknut ready, just a standard nut. I have a couple of bodies I'm thinking of mating with it but I definitely will use an OFR. Can I have a locknut added and will this work?

I know, I know...shoulda knwn this. I've played for 25 years (I'm 36) and I've always taken my guitars in for anything more than a setup, which I do myself. I'm just not up to speed on some of the scale/trem/nut areas. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Tom

Re: lock nut/neck questions

Yes, they'd have to route it out for a locknut. Or you could just get a set of locking tuners like Sperzel or Schaller and you should be fine. Carvin's guitars with Floyds come with the standard nut, and most people say they stay in tune just fine, but they do offer a locking nut option for like $20 more.
    WarriorX7 is actually doing a refin for me on a Jackson body with non-recessed Floyd and will be adding a custom neck to it with a regular nut that will have locking Schallers. Then again, I like to do a lot of Drop D or other tunings, so I'll have the Floyd on the body or blocked for divebombing only. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: lock nut/neck questions

Thanks Toe,
      I wondered about the ocking Sperzels...Only concern is the "extra" point of contact for the strings, the standad nut. On my SRV, I use graphite on the but and the v-trem stays in tune pretty well. Thanks. I'll probably have it routed for the Floyd nut.
      Tom

Comment

Working...
      X