Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slanted pickup make any difference? Direct mounted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slanted pickup make any difference? Direct mounted?

A couple of questions for the pickup gurus:

I love the looks of the slanted bridge pickup that EVH's old guitars used to have, and I'd like to order a Jackson Custom Shop Soloist with one slanted pickup, but the few 1H models I've seen are not slanted (except for the Model 88).

Would it have any appreciable effect on the guitar's tone if I got it slanted as opposed to straight, and if so, in what way? Also, I am thinking of getting an EMG. Would it make any difference to have it mounted directly to the body instead of floating in a frame (if Jackson would even mount it that way)?

THANKS!

Re: Slanted pickup make any difference? Direct mounted?

Originally posted by quiksilver:
    A couple of questions for the pickup gurus:

Would it have any appreciable effect on the guitar's tone if I got it slanted as opposed to straight, and if so, in what way?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It will boost up the low end a bit. That's why strat's and tele's have slanted bridge pickups.

Also, I am thinking of getting an EMG. Would it make any difference to have it mounted directly to the body instead of floating in a frame (if Jackson would even mount it that way)?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Both sound about the same to me, and the custom shop will do anything you want for a price.

Comment

When slanted like EVH you will notice slightly better treble and bite on the high strings and slightly more bass and growl on the bass strings. Sometimes the pickup is reverse slanted like on the original Warrior guitars and on some of Jake E. Lee's strats. Direct mounting supposedely increases the pickup's ability to pickup the body wood vibration better than if it was held up in a plastic ring. That one I don't know much about...
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Joe, you are correct. But EVH originally did it that way so the pole pieces would line up correctly under his strings since there were no F-spaced humbuckers back then.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've read that about EVH as well. But, wouldn't that make the strings pass between the polepieces meant for one string?

For example, the two polepieces of an old humbucker meant to line up with the low E string on a Gibson, slanted on a trem-spaced guitar, would give one of those polepieces above the low E string and the other polepiece below the low E string. Hence, the low E string passes between the two polepieces meant for that string.

Bah! Hopefully you guys know what I mean, and hopefully it doesn't bring up the issue of having polepieces lining up exactly with string spacing again. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The wierd thing about the slanted pickup is that pole pieces still don't seem to line up.

On all my Barettas with the stock (non-fspaced Duncans or Schallers), the outside "E" poles are not quite lined up.

Always bugged the heck out of me.

Comment

Yeah, they don't line up exact with the E strings, but it is a little better than if it weren't slanted.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Like Toejam said eddie did it to make the strings line up with the screw poles of the pickup. Not the hum cancelling coil (flat poles)
                The screws are the more active coil and the one to be concerned about lineing up more so than the other. However leaving a none fspaced pup strieght will not cause a problem. I have a Duncan Distortion none F spaced in the bridge of My dean Belaire and the poles don't line up exactly but I dont notice a differance in magnet strength. Although the slanted pup will give a bit more bite and a bit more growl.
                Gil

Comment

Slanting an EMG or a Duncan Invader doesn't make a difference because they are such high output to begin with. That is why Duncan doesn't make an F spaced invader. What's cool is the slanted route doesn't limit you to F-spaced pickups. Try it, you'll like it.

Rich

Comment

Thats the beauty of Carvin pickups. Plenty of poles and no worries!! There are pros and cons of direct mounting. For recording I prefer suspended pickups. For live I prefer direct mounted. I find guitars with direct mounted pickups a little noisy in the studio.

Comment

Working...
                    X