Major help needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major help needed...

I'm sitting a practice playing my guitar, switch to the clean channel and all the sudden it's making a ton of hissing and has this swirling noise comeing throught it.

I have a GCX switcher and have a Boss chorus and an Eq in the loop I use for clean. It stopped after switching back and forth, but when I touched some cables in the back of the switcher, it started again, then went away for the rest of the night.

This isn't the first problem I have had, about a month ago, I put my tuner in the thing and had it set on mute to silent tune. It worked for 2 months perfectly, then all the sudden you could hear my guitar comeing through when I was tuneing, again I pushed on the cables and although it didn't appear to have come out it stopped for a while, then came back.

Also last week, My delay started acting up like the volume dropped out of the dry signal and wasn't as loud, it's still doing it and if I fool with the cables, it stops then comes back.

All my cables are George L's, is there a possibility that they are working their way loose after 2years of being in the rack?
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Major help needed...

If every time you touch the cables the problem stops, I would start right there.
    Take everything apart, re-do the cable to jack connections, and jack each connection in and out several times to clean the contacts.
    You once mentioned you are in a very humid environment, so you'll probably need to do this often.

Comment

Sounds like it could be the jack in the effects loop on the amp either a bad jack or a loose wire depending on the brand of amp and wether or not the jack is connected directly on the IC board or if it's a free standing jack with wires. It could be the coneections on the end of the George L's too. Try snipping the end off and reconnecting the end. Or just try a differant cable (non George L's) to make sure it's not the cables. But it sounds like a ground wire problem.
      Gil

Comment

Chuck,

Yea it's humid as hell in the basement and that's when all this started after my stuff being down there a while. By the way, I havent' really talked to you in a while, but you were Totally right about the Tone Zone in a live band situation. The Super D blows it away.

Hey Gill,

If the problem is in the jack, then its got to be the jacks in all 3 of the loops that I'm haveing problems with. I hope that Chuck is right about the cables though.

Do those jacks and plugs need to be cleaned even if that stuff stays plugged in and has been for about 2 years?
        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Not necasarily but if the humidity is that high there you may have some extra oxidizing on the contacts. In a normal enviroment it usually wouldnt need to be cleaned unless neglected for a long time. since there are three loops your dealing with it and it does it with all of them it probably is the cables.
          Gil

Comment

Working...
          X