Painting a floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a floyd?

Is there any possible way of painting the baseplate on the baseplate of my tremolo? Its a jt580lp, would the paint stick to it or no?

Re: Painting a floyd?

Lemme get this straight....you want to paint a graphic of the baseplate onto the baseplate of another trem??? Well....I guess that may look cool but.....hmmmm......well....... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] oh! I think I get it!...you coould actually paint a pic of an OFR onto lets say a JT6 and make it appear to be an OFR from a distance!! That's a cool idea bro!.... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    ...oh, and would the paint stick?...sure it would! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    J/K bro!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Painting the hardware is something very few here understand about. Properly done, it can be applied with absolutely no ill effects. I have had a few customs done up with graphics, and I chose to have the hardware painted. If you're careful, and you take your time to do it right, no harmful results come about. No tone loss, no mechanical degradation, it's good as new. Take a gander:

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Woah, that's way cool! Did you have that done at Jackson? If not where? I don't think I ever have seen a trem painted along with the graphic like that..too cool.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Man, I love that axe.

Joe certainly has an awesome collection. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Joe, do you have a pic of the finished product? That is one beautiful axe. Also, could you elaborate on how the trem was prepped for the paint? That info would probably help anyone wanting to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
              Lemme get this straight....you want to paint a graphic of the baseplate onto the baseplate of another trem??? Well....I guess that may look cool but.....hmmmm......well....... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] oh! I think I get it!...you coould actually paint a pic of an OFR onto lets say a JT6 and make it appear to be an OFR from a distance!! That's a cool idea bro!.... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
              ...oh, and would the paint stick?...sure it would! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              J/K bro!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nooo, I dont wanna paint a graphic, I just want to paint it black. charvel750, can you give me a rundown on the steps?

Comment

If you want a solid color there are better ways than paint, if you have access to them. Powdercoat, for one.

Comment

There is a paint I like to use on corroded parts that is a nice semi-gloss black. It is called "Trim Black" and is by Plasti Kote and is in a spray can. It is made for metal trim pieces like wiper arms and such. It is fairly durable. When done it looks almost identical to the old San Dimas black painted hardware.

Comment

Yep, and Krylon semi-flat black is awesome stuff too.

Comment

Charvel750, that warrior with the dragon graphic is stunning. Very beautiful.

Comment

Thank you, gents. That was a 1990 black Warrior Pro that was professionally refinished in the bat cave. The paint was applied directly to the hardware but each part of the trem was individually painted. Then a very light clear coat was applied. I wanted "coitus uninterruptus" with the graphic, nothing could impede the flow...
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                        X