No announcement yet.

Pickup Recomendations? (Les Paul type)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Recomendations? (Les Paul type)

Looking to upgrade the pickups on my Epi les paul. Looking for a great clean/dirty combination for metal. Id go with emgs but I want to try something different. Any ideas?

Re: Pickup Recomendations? (Les Paul type)

SD in the bridge, JB in the neck. At least that's what I like.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I have an Epi LP Custom with a Custom Custom in the bridge and a Gibson Paf zebra coil in the neck. It leans up well and has clearity with distortion. I play anything from metal to blues to U2 type stuff and it all sounds great with that set up on the epi.
      Gil

Comment

I'll look into those. anyone have music clips w/there lespaul with the pickups mentioned above?

Comment

IMHO, these are the best choices for passive pickups for a Les Paul.

PAF Pro neck
          Norton bridge

or

Gibson 496R neck
          Gibson 500T bridge

Comment

Also a duncan JB in the bridge and a duncan custom sh-5 in the neck work wonders as well.

Chuck
            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

In my les paul I put in a Humbucker from hell(neck) and SuperDistortion (bridge) both by Dimarzio.

Great combinatino for me for Metal. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

My 3-pickup Les Paul has a Jazz in the neck and middle and a JB in the bridge. This is a killer combo.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

What if i were to go passive and active. Ex. Say I wanted to go EMG 81 on the bridge ..and a Duncan Custom on the neck. Would that work ok in a les paul? How would i be able to work that out?

Comment

DiMarzio Norton bridge and Humbucker From Hell neck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

this in the bridge,

Duncan Custom™
                      SH-5/TB-5 -- Beef up the sound of the Patent Applied For pickup and you get a hard-driving, kicking sound with just the right balance of power, sustain, and distortion. This pickup cuts through with a distinctive high end and midrange attack. Available in black, zebra (cream & black), reverse zebra and white as well as the following colors at no extra charge -- red, red & black, pink, green, light blue, dark blue & yellow.
                      Recommended for bridge position. Four conductor cable, with traditional or Trembucker spacing. Also for 7-string guitars

and this in the neck,

'59™ Model
                      SH-1/ TB59-1b -- The most important thing about the vintage Patent Applied For pickup was its warm, smooth tone and sustain that was unlike anything heard before. The SH-1 is built with the same kind of enameled wire, nickel-plated studs, and balanced coil windings that humbucker inventor Seth Lover used in his first pickups. It looks and sounds just like a '59. Available in black, zebra (cream & black), reverse zebra and white as well as the following colors at no extra charge -- red, red & black, pink, green, light blue, dark blue & yellow.
                      Single conductor cable is standard, four conductor is available upon request. With traditional or Trembucker spacing. Also for 7-string guitars.

hard set to beat in most guitars,will go from raging metal to tame stuff [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

If you really need a pickup in a different color, go DiMarzio. Good luck getting Duncans in other colors besides black, white or zebra... you'll be waiting forever.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I gotta say that the DiMarzio PAF pro is the best one I have ever used. Neck & Bridge, it's un-beatable (in my opinion...and we all know what those are like!!)

Comment

Ruxspin posted December 01, 2003 12:14 PM

What if i were to go passive and active. Ex. Say I wanted to go EMG 81 on the bridge ..and a Duncan Custom on the neck. Would that work ok in a les paul? How would i be able to work that out?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You could. You'd need to install need a separate vol/tone pots that are 25K ohm for the EMG (plus the needed 9 volt battery). You'd need each pickup to go to their respective vol/tone pot first, then route them to the 3-way switch, then to the output jack. I'm not sure if the middle position (both pickups going thru) would be similar sounding to a normal guitar with the 2 sets of vol pots.

Honestly, there's enough variety in p/us to either go all active or all passive. BTW, my friend replaced the p/us in his Epiphone LP with Gibson 57 Classic in the neck and a Gibson 57 Classic Plus in the bridge and it sounds awesome!
                            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

X2Ns sound great in LPs, bridge position so i think an epi would be close enough.
                              duncan custom or CC is great too, the alinco & 59 both sound great in almost every guitar ive heard them in neck position

Comment

Working...
                              X