TASCAM 244 PORTA STUDIO QUESTION?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TASCAM 244 PORTA STUDIO QUESTION?

Hey, I just pulled this off of evil-bay...

I don't think I did too badly...I just really want it to screw around with and see what I can come up with.

Does anybody else here have this model?

If so, if you have the manual for it, please PM me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Also, if you have used the recorder, is it good sound quality?? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Thanks

Re: TASCAM 244 PORTA STUDIO QUESTION?

I had a 244 and yes, it's a great scratchpad but don't expect any demo's out of it. Nice clean little unit though and super easy to use.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Cool...thanks mm..... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I bought it for $45...didn't think I could go wrong for that price....

Just something to fuck around with. I have a POD coming probably tomorrow, am going to pick up a drum machine....just to goof off a bit.

If I find I have an aptitude for recording, I'll probably go hog-wild and buy some better stuff [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Here is the link to the auction.

It looks like it is in fairly good shape.

web page

Comment

Make sure the heads, rollers, & capstan are clean. Learn to clean them well if you don't already know. Use chrome-equivalent tape, and try out a few different ones to see what works best in your machine. There are slight differences, and the machine was adjusted to a certain one (usually TDK SA or Maxell XLII). You CAN change this adjustment, but it's a serious pain.

Comment

ah...the old 4-Tracker....I have a Fostex unit collecting dust LP...if you have a decent computer you really should try PC recording with Guitar Tracks Pro...its 99 bucks and you get 32 tracks plus all the effects you'll need. I was stuck in the 4-track world for so long and was so reluctant to change...once I did I couldn't believe I waited so long
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn....I actually have a great computer....Dell 8250 w/200 Gig hard drive. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I mainly just bought the Tascam to learn on, and see if I can even do it [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

If I can do OK with the 4-track..I'll probably buy some good recording equipment and go from there.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

The most important thing is to use the tapes it was calibrated for. I think Jesse is right about the Maxell XLIIs but if you'll check the manual you can confirm this. I sold my Marantz PMD740 because I went with the PC approach but I must tell you that there's a certain warmth that I miss as compared to the tape. Just remember that the more you bounce tracks the more "noise" buildup you'll get, that's why it's not the greatest for demos, but you'll get some cool recordings with it, especially for 45 bucks! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                X