Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did you file your nut? ( fixed bridge, USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did you file your nut? ( fixed bridge, USA)

g'day

I've got a '97 Jackson USA with Kahler fixed bridge.
    Well, I'm not the guitar-tech expert, but I would like to have my strings further down ( you know what I meen...).
    So, do you think the nut of an '97 USA is already perfect or do you think it's to high, too?
    I'm not sure if I should file it, maybe space between first fret is going to be too small...

please tell me your opinion
    (...and improve my speak...)

Re: did you file your nut? ( fixed bridge, USA)

Sounds like you just want lower action,first make sure your neck isn't bowed(if it is have a tech adjust the truss rod if you're not comfortable doin it) & then start at the kahler & lower each saddle till you get the strings where you want them with no buzzing,check that your intonation is still ok & you should be good to go!!The nut should be fine if the strings aren't getting caught up when you bend or use the bar Chuck

Comment

Chuck is right but also I have found that a lot of guitars come from the factory with the action at the nut too high for my taste so I have to file the nut slots. To me if the action is too high at the nut the whole guitar feels stiff and uncomfortable regardless of the action at the 12th fret. It's a personal preference though.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Factory clearance at the first fret is .5mm. If it's higher than that, file it down a bit and see how that works out. Make sure the guitar is properly set up before you measure it though.

Comment

well, the neck and the saddles are ok. I just thought maybe Jackson nuts are in generel too high. I just dont know whether there's still enough space between string and first fred after filling it. Maybe i cant shredder that hard anymore, afterwards. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

BM is correct, .5mm is what you want at the first fret if everything else is to feel right. If it's higher than that, file it until it's right and then check and adjust the action at the bridge. If you have the correct amount of relief in the neck (back-bow) the action at the 12th fret is going to have little to do with the action at the nut.

Comment

Fret the guitar at the 3rd fret,then look at the first fret to see how much space you have between the string and the first fret .005 is a bit high for my taste but that is about where the factory sets them up.I file mine down to where the strings are almost touching the first fret about .002 when capoed at the third fret.Be careful you can file too far and get your strings too low and mess up a good nut.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

When filing the groove in the nut, remember to have the file angled, kinda in line with the tilted-back-headstock angle, as you want to make sure the front edge of the nut is the point the string makes its best contact with. This angle kinda comes naturally when filing as you kinda tilt the file that way to make sure you don't hit any frets.

Also, make short smooth passes, only do a couple, then insert string and re-tune to see how you're going.

As a way to gauge how much to cut and also protect from cutting too much, I sometimes use a set of feeler gages (automotive type). When the guitar is strung up, I insert the right amount of gages so that its snug under the string in question. Then I measure as others say above, and calculate how many thousands/mm I want to remove, then re-set the feeler gages by subtracting that amount. Remove the string, and place the feeler gages flat on the fingerboard and up against the nut. I then take several passes (and still check occassionally by restringing/retuning). Eventually you will get to the point that you hear the file scrap on the feeler gage, which is time to stop and re-string to double check. As you can see, the feeler gage will act as a stop to prevent further cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog:
                  When filing the groove in the nut, remember to have the file angled, kinda in line with the tilted-back-headstock angle, as you want to make sure the front edge of the nut is the point the string makes its best contact with. This angle kinda comes naturally when filing as you kinda tilt the file that way to make sure you don't hit any frets.

Also, make short smooth passes, only do a couple, then insert string and re-tune to see how you're going.

As a way to gauge how much to cut and also protect from cutting too much, I sometimes use a set of feeler gages (automotive type). When the guitar is strung up, I insert the right amount of gages so that its snug under the string in question. Then I measure as others say above, and calculate how many thousands/mm I want to remove, then re-set the feeler gages by subtracting that amount. Remove the string, and place the feeler gages flat on the fingerboard and up against the nut. I then take several passes (and still check occassionally by restringing/retuning). Eventually you will get to the point that you hear the file scrap on the feeler gage, which is time to stop and re-string to double check. As you can see, the feeler gage will act as a stop to prevent further cutting.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good point dude! I forgot to mention that! Excellent advice. 1000 extra points go to mountaindog! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X