Tuneomatic Bridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuneomatic Bridges

So hey-What do you guys think of Tune-O-Matic Bridges like the ones on the DKMGT or the DK27? Do they stay in tune as good as a floyd rose or a licensed floyd rose copy? I am thinking of picking up a DK27, but one of my biggest concerns is how a guitar stays in tune. I hate tuning every 10 minutes, and with a floyd, even though they are tough to deal with, stay in tune pretty damn good all in all.

Re: Tuneomatic Bridges

Since the bridge itself has no moving parts, they stay in tune very well. The tuners, on the other hand, might give you some trouble if you don't stretch the strings enough (which is the most common problem I've seen).
    You could always replace the stock tuners with locking ones, though.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I play acoustic rather violently and they stay in tune if the strings are stretched properly. Plus, any fixed bridge is relatively easy to tune, which is probably one of the reasons why they're so appealing to those who love fixed bridges.

I'm getting a DK27 very soon too. I'm actually tuning that sucker UP from B to C... heheh. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Newc and #0f the priest. Locking tuners sound like the trick. I had a decision to make between the DK2S and the DK27, and I am tending to think I want to go with the DK27 because I like to tune down, although I usually only go down to C#. Maybe I'll tune to C now.

I want to figure out how to get both!!!!!!

Comment

Hahaha... getting both is obviously the best, but what I think I'm going to do with the DK27 is tune up from B to C, as I've already said. BUT, I also want a guitar to play in D with. Sooooo, I think I'm going to simply put a capo on the 2nd fret when I want to play in D, and remove it when I want to play in C. I think that'll be my cheap-ass simple way of playing in two tunings I want. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I use a capo on my DR3 and it is tuned down to C#. Put it on the 3rd fret and I am in E! I love it! Best guitar idea I have stolen in years! I got it from some folk singer who tuned down low on their guitar so they could sing easier. Good idea with the capo.

Comment

I've got two '94 Dinky HX models that are string-thru with TOM bridges... never had a problem with them staying in tune with the standard tuners. One is tuned to D with 11-48 strings, the other is in eithar E or Eb with 10-46.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the input Toejam and everyone else. Since everyone says the Tuneomatics work fairly well, I know my destiny. I must have a DK2S to replace my ailing DK3, and a DK27 to experience a Jackson with a TOM bridge. Now if I can just go about buttering up the lady, maybe I can work it all out........

Comment

I meant DR3!!
                  Not DK3

Comment

If you wind the string on there properly, your guitar will stay in tune much better. Turn the tuner until the hole in the post is at a 90 degree angle from the straight string. First get enough slack that the string is one fingerlength off the fretboard. Next pull the string through the tuner, then back upwards, making sure to put two sharp bends in the string that will stay. Next bend the extra string coming out from the post over the string going into the tuner. Then fold the string underneath the string, making something like a U-turn around the string going into the post. Pull the slack out of both the string in the U-turn, and the length of string between the bridge and tuner, stretching about three inches at a time to make sure you get it all. Tune to pitch and cut the excess string off. Or wrap it into curly Q's if you think that's cute.

Comment

Sounds like the instructions that came with my my American Strat. I'll give that a shot. I figured out how to get both the DK27 and a DK2S. Easton Guitars is giving me a great deal on the DK27. Thanks to everyone that replied-Y'all helped me decide to get both guitars. Now I just gotta figure out pickups for both guitars!! That'll be my next post.

Comment

Working...
                      X