I need some help guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help guys

OK folks here is the sitch. As you guys know I have had various Jacksons for the last 2-3 years and finally settled on my bloodrip SL2H and a cherry burst DK1. My best friend has always setup these guitars whenever they needed so I was able to be lazy! Unfortunately he is working with and Electrical company right now that reguires 12 hour days 7 days a week for the next couple of months. So now I am on my own!

THE PROBLEM:
    Last night I noticed that my DK1 which I keep on the wall in my music room was tuned down about a half a step. The strings are pretty fresh and were stretched when they were put on.
    So I loosened the nut and retuned the guitar thinking that I didnt stretch the strings enough.
    That worked great for about a half an hour when I noticed all the strings had lost about a half step again!

Help me please guys. Otherwise I am stuck playing my 335 or my 85' custom!

Re: I need some help guys

OK gang here is an update: it is now 2:30am here in the desert and after farting around with the DK1 and the SL2H I have come to a startling conclusion.
    When I tune the guitars on their backs on the worktable(i.e. the ironing board)once I pickup the guitar and strap it on, there it is...1/4 step down.
    When I tune the guitar standing up and strapped on...Holey Moley...it...stayed...in....tune!
    I just thrashed the Dinky for about 35 minutes and it went just a hair down all across the strings.
    Any ideas?

Comment

Always tune the guitar in playing position. When you lay it on its back, gravity is pulling the neck backwards, so the strings seem to be in proper tune until you hold it in playing position.
      To see this for yourself, hit a natural harmonic in playing position and then hold the guitar by the body and tilt it so the fretboard faces the ceiling. The pitch will increase. Now flip it so the fretboard faces the floor, and it will decrease.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yep, always tune in playing position.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I knew the masters of all things Jackson would help me in my plight. And now it makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

glad we could help bro! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Always adjust your truss rod in playing position too!!

Comment

Working...
              X