Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between SATIN necks and OILED necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between SATIN necks and OILED necks?

Alright, so raw necks have NOTHING on them, and painted necks are generally painted the same paint scheme as the body and the headstock. But, how do you differentiate satin necks from oiled necks? Photos and examples of Jackson necks that have the neck finishing types would be helpful.

Re: Difference between SATIN necks and OILED necks?

Painted necks usually have a high gloss finish applied to them that doesn't need any maintenance. A satin neck is a matte gloss finish that doesn't need any maintenance either. My Fender has the satin, and I really like it. They sometimes can turn into a higher gloss finish with a lot of use, but you can always buff it out back to matte satin. An oiled neck is also a matte-type finish, but it will eventually need upkeep and some more oil (typically tung or gunstock) applied to it over time. Sorry, I don't have pics to help you.

[ November 20, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The bolt-on Professional Jacksons, are they oiled or satin?

Comment

Satin.

Comment

Sweet. A neckthrough unpainted satin KE3-profiled neck would be the perfect neck for me. Thanks!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Sure! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] All the Professional models I've had (the two Dinky HX I have now) the two Dinky Reverses and Kelly XLR I used to have were all satin. I don't think they use oil on any of the imports.

Comment

Satin eh

Guess that's what i have then (Japan X-series)

It rocks [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Satin finishes are a low-gloss varnish, basically. It's like a clearcoat, but thinner and not shiny.

Oiled necks usually have tung oil or gunstock oil on them.

To me there is NOTHING that can match the feel of a tung oiled mahogany neck. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X