Refinishing question - clearcoat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing question - clearcoat.

I am getting ever closer to painting with a couple of projects I have on the go, and I would really like to improve my technique to get a more professional look.

In the past, I have done the following:

1) sand, fill any dents, sand again.
    2) prime with grey autobody primer spray can.
    3) sand.
    4) paint with spray can - usually several thin coats, and lightly sanding every 2 coats.
    5) spray with acrylic clearcoat in a spray can. Several thin coats, sanding between, etc.

This extremely amateur method can yield some pretty good results, but it seems that the acrylic clearcoat never hardens enough for me to wetsand, or buff properly. So there is always some minor texture to it.

Here are my projects, and my planned finishes:

1) Peavey Destiny neck-thru - This one is going to get a flame or quilt veneer and a clear or dyed finish on the top. The sides, back, and neck will all be black. Black hardware.

2) Charvel Fusion Special - Converted from 2 slanted single coils in the bridge position and one straight single coil in the neck position to two straight mounted hums. This one is probably going to be day-glo/nuclear yellow, and will have a design on it to be revealed at a future date. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Black hardware.

3) Scratch built body with Jackson neck - Solid hard maple body. Sort of a Warlock/Mockingbird/Stealth cross, very BC Rich-like. This one is going to be a single hum, tun-o-matic with chrome hardware. Finish will probably be black, but I'm considering a figured veneer on this one too with a dyed black finish.

So, if anyone has any suggestions or opinions, please post up.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Refinishing question - clearcoat.

I've only used the nitrocellouse clear coats from reranch. I followed the directions on the site http://www.reranch.com except I put a lot heavier coats once it had a good base of thinner coats built up. I always sanded between coats and was able to abtain a glass like shine [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Come on guys. Help me out here. I'm begging. Just post something stupid and completely non-helpful if you want, but for gods sake post something. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Was it the Nascar comments?

If so, I retract everything I said about roundy-dound racing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:

If so, I retract everything I said about roundy-dound racing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by zeegler:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Jeff Gordon is a sexy man. I want to spoon with him. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by budman68:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by zeegler:

Dave-&gt;
              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Jeff Gordon is a sexy man. I want to spoon with him. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ummm whatever you're into zeegs... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
              Dave ->

Comment

I was actually gonna respond to this with some intelligent comments but after reading it I'm thinking....NAHHHHH!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                  I was actually gonna respond to this with some intelligent comments but after reading it I'm thinking....NAHHHHH!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seriously, all kidding aside, I would really like to hear your comments.

Comment

Zeeg, it pretty much depends on whether you have access to good spray equipment and a good place to use it. If you're only choice is in your garage then stick with laquer paints. Whether they're in spray cans or used with a gun doesn't really matter all that much as long as you buy a true laquer. Either acrylic or nitro will give great results. Here's the trick to laquer, "patience"! After the final clear coats you'll need to just hang it somewhere and let it dry for at least 4 to 6 weeks before any final sanding and buffing. Also, laquer is very picky about temp and humidity so only spray it when the temp is 70 deg. F or warmer, and the humidity MUST be less than 70%. Laquer has a nasty habit of absorbing moisture as the solvents evaporate and this will give the clear coat a milky appearance. It can be fixed but it's a pain in the ass.
                    Otherwise your methods seem fine as far as the sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, etc etc.
                    Now if you have access to good spray equipment and the proper environment to spray polys let me know and I can turn you on to some great products. The beauty of a poly finish is that it can be completed in a weekend and it's ready to play! Plus it'll last forever.
                    There's my 2 pennies!

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                      Zeeg, it pretty much depends on whether you have access to good spray equipment and a good place to use it. If you're only choice is in your garage then stick with laquer paints. Whether they're in spray cans or used with a gun doesn't really matter all that much as long as you buy a true laquer. Either acrylic or nitro will give great results. Here's the trick to laquer, "patience"! After the final clear coats you'll need to just hang it somewhere and let it dry for at least 4 to 6 weeks before any final sanding and buffing. Also, laquer is very picky about temp and humidity so only spray it when the temp is 70 deg. F or warmer, and the humidity MUST be less than 70%. Laquer has a nasty habit of absorbing moisture as the solvents evaporate and this will give the clear coat a milky appearance. It can be fixed but it's a pain in the ass.
                      Otherwise your methods seem fine as far as the sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, etc etc.
                      Now if you have access to good spray equipment and the proper environment to spray polys let me know and I can turn you on to some great products. The beauty of a poly finish is that it can be completed in a weekend and it's ready to play! Plus it'll last forever.
                      There's my 2 pennies!
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Mark...I have never waited a month or longer on niro to final wet sand..maybe a week tops and I never had a problem. You are correct in that it will continue to harden up for a long time tho. I agree in that patience is the most important thing which can sometimes be hard to do for us weekenders [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Everytime I refin...I always say to myself that I'll never do this again [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] it is a lot of work and time and a lot of care to make it come out looking professional.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks Mark. I suspected that it was my impatience that was my undoing. 4-6 weeks eh? Wow, and I thought quitting smoking was tough. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

In the past I've never waited more than a week. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ah well, I guess it means that you guys are gonna have to wait that much longer to see pics. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Shawn, I can imagine that if you live in a very warm dry climate you may not have to wait quite as long for the paint to fully cure, but 1 week??? well.....I guess if it works for you do it! You must live in Arizona! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Zeeg, trust me on this bro...give it at LEAST a month before you even touch it. It's much much better to wait too long than to not wait long enough.

Comment

Yes, I have to agree with Mark(not saying Shawn is wrong but a week is not enough for me either, perhaps I'm spraying heavier coats?). I used to rush trying to wet sand and would hit a part that apparently wasn't dry and F&*% it all up. Now, I just hang her up and let her dry for at LEAST 4 weeks. It works for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                            Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                            X