Resonating problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonating problems

hi all, i've been having some problems with my rhoads. When i play e flat (11th fret) on the high e, the note sounds very ****ty; it doesnt sustain properly and drifts off into a harmonic. I cant say i've noticed it when i play with the neck humbucker, only with the bridge. I recorded a little clip, its quite easy to recognise the off note. What is causing this? any help is greatly appreciated

sound clip

Re: Resonating problems

Action's too low. Your other notes are also doing it, just not to the same extent. Your string is grinding out against the 12th fret (or higher), and the other notes are doing the same thing, hence the "warbling" sound. When you bend the 15th fret note on the high E up a full step, does the note die out quickly? If so, raise that side of the bridge just a bit, then check it again.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I didn't recognize the tune. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Was that Hendrix???
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

sweet, thanks newc...funny thing is, i had the frets crowned, and all that, it was fine, the action is not really low at all, about 1.5+mm. Yeah the note does die out quicker you're right there. **** thing is, i only noticed this after i tuned back up to E (from D) with 10's, then back to 9's again (in e tuning)...i mean i done the truss rod adjustments accordingly on each change, but perhaps i didnt loosen it quite enough? (i did one quarter turn, should i maybe go for more?)
        Cheers

Comment

The strings are making contact with the frets.
          Sounds like the action may be too low or you have a high fret.But more than one note indicates more than one or two frets are high.Its really hard to determine the cause of the problem without looking at it.Look at your frets closely to see if they have lifted.You will be able to tell by looking.If everything looks ok I'd bet you need a fret level.Providing the neck is adjusted properly.Capo the first fret,fret the big e string at the 17th or 18th fret then check the distance from the top of the 7th fret to the bottom of the e string using a feeler guage 8 to 10 thousands is acceptable.I set mine at 8 thousands at the 8th fret.That works good for me because I'm a light touch player.10 is good for the more agressive player. Hoped I helped a little [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You have to measure the truss rod adjustment. Put a capo on the first fret and fret the guitar with your finger where the neck joins the body(usually around the 17th fret). The distance between the string and the top of the 7th fret should be .010" measure it with a feeler gauge. If you don't have a feeler gauge, a playing card will get you close. If you don't have that, you can try and eyeball it, it should be the same as the width of your high E string. However, you may have a floating fret. When you say you had the frets "crowned and all that", did you get them leveled too? Look closely at the underside of the frets above where the ringing out occurs, does one of them look lifted, like it is not seated flat on the body?

Comment

thanks guys, ill give it a try.

i loosened the truss rod a bit more two days ago, i havent had time to try out the guitar plugged in, but unplugged, it sounds pretty clean now, like the string doesnt have that kinda dead sound to it any longer.

Comment

Something to note is that Jacksons come set up from the factory with NO relief, or very, very little. This is also how we'd set them up when evaluating them for warranty work. If the frets buzzed at 1.5mm with no relief, it was repair time. Warranties are cool if you're the one getting the repairs done. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X