High E popping out of floyd saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High E popping out of floyd saddle?

I'm having a problem with my high e strings popping out of the saddle. It's an imported dinky reverse, so the floyd is a jackson licensed model. The strings pop out when I stretch the string after installing it, even if I lock the string in tightly. I took out the little clamp block in the saddle, shined some light inside, and sure enough there's a groove that formed from former strings. I change string weekly on that guitar, so I'm not surprised. Anyone else ever have this problem, and if so how did you fix it?

Re: High E popping out of floyd saddle?

Get some 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper. Remove the little block and put the sandpaper on a flat surface. Now, using figure 8 circular motions, press down on the block and start your figure 8's while it is on the sandpaper and repeat until the groove is gone. Repeat with 600 grit. Done...

Comment

The groove is mostly within the saddle part itself, not the little clamp block. Are there any files small enough to fit in there?

A temporary fix I found is to just not fit the string into the grooved area, which is a little tricky to do.

Comment

How tight do you usually tighten your strings?

They really should'nt need more than 1/4 turn past "snug"

Over-tightening is the number one cause of string "grooves"

I've never had a problem with Jackson trems in that area.

Which trem is it?

Comment

Takeuchi(spl?) made, I believe. Same style as a floyd pro.

I might tighten the strings a little more than 1/4 turn past "snug".

Comment

i would try usind a small piece of sheet metal (like a shim) and just slide it in there until you can get the saddle filed or replaced.

Comment

i just thought of this. could you possibly drip some crazy glue or other fast drying adhesive in there to fill in the groove? Just an idea. I also remember seeing this stuff in an auto parts store called "quicksteel", used to patch up radiators and engine blocks-it is like a gray putty that is supposed to dry as hard as steel. I guess if it can plug an engine block, it can fix a floyd, right? brainstorming here.....

Comment

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] get bigger strings!!
                Seriously, I'd just replace the saddle. I may even have one laying around, got a pic of the trem?
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

You need some needle files. You should be able to pick up a set at any decent hardware store, and they don't cost much. My set has all different shapes, and I use them for grooving nuts too.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Hey Zeeg, you keep your needle files away from my nuts! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                      i just thought of this. could you possibly drip some crazy glue or other fast drying adhesive in there to fill in the groove? Just an idea. I also remember seeing this stuff in an auto parts store called "quicksteel", used to patch up radiators and engine blocks-it is like a gray putty that is supposed to dry as hard as steel. I guess if it can plug an engine block, it can fix a floyd, right? brainstorming here.....
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Quicksteel is most likely a sort of coldweld, like JB Weld. Great stuff, but I am pretty sure it would be nearly impossible to work with it in that fine of an application without having to file down the excess. As long as your filing, just file the saddle. As aquick fix, fold the last 1/8" of the string in half before you lock it down.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                        You need some needle files. You should be able to pick up a set at any decent hardware store, and they don't cost much. My set has all different shapes, and I use them for grooving nuts too.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Awesome, I'll keep that in mind! Well, except for the nut grooving [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Thanks guys.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ace:
                          "As aquick fix, fold the last 1/8" of the string in half before you lock it down."

Hey, that's a really great tip! I never thought about that, but that would work. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ November 19, 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by toejam:
                            Originally posted by Ace:
                            "As aquick fix, fold the last 1/8" of the string in half before you lock it down."

Hey, that's a really great tip! I never thought about that, but that would work. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's why I get the big bucks!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] In fact all the deer like me!

Comment

Working...
                            X