Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Paint?

Hey Folks!
    O.k., got a good one here: I just (finally!) finshed up my own custom guitar, built with me own evil hands. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I took my time and followed all the proper steps. I just buffed out the finish to an unbelievable mirror shine, BUT, after buffing the back and flipping it over to do the front, I noticed that the denim pattern from my jeans was in the paint on the back! I managed to buff that back out, but now I'm afraid to touch the thing. It's been hanging up for 2 days now because I don't want to put anymore marks on it. Is there a set amount of time that the buff out needs to "cure", or did I do something wrong? (By the way, I used nitro for the paint and clearcoat, and hand buffed, not machine)
    Thanks! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ November 13, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Subvamp ]

Re: Soft Paint?

How long did you let it cure before polishing? Depending on how many coats you put on, it can take more than 2 weeks before it's safe to polish. It sounds like you'll be OK if you give it more time. Stewmac has a good info page on finishing. They go over curing time at the bottom. Hope it helps. Good luck & post pics when you're done!

Comment

I would let it cure at least a month before the final wet sanding and buffing. Laquer needs plenty of time for all of the solvents to evaporate so do not rush it.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah, it sounds like I need some more cure time before I mess with it any further...I only let it sit for 2 weeks before buffing it, and I put a million coats of paint on. Is there any way to check to see when it's ready, or should I just assume that 3 weeks or so is appropriate?

Comment

The same thing happened on my Bomber model 2. It felt dry to the touch, but was still soft. It took over a month to really harden. Be patient.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87:
            The same thing happened on my Bomber model 2. It felt dry to the touch, but was still soft. It took over a month to really harden. Be patient.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe someone told you to wait didn't they???
            [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Dave:
              I believe someone told you to wait didn't they???
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, yeah, yeah. Go ahead and rub it in. Wisenheimer! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Hey Dave & Scott...if you guys can't get along we're going to have to seperate you!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Since we know 2 weeks wasn't enough, I would be cautious & go with Mark's recommendation, especially since there are so many coats. It may seem fine on the surface, but the more coats below, the more solvent has to evaporate out before it will be safe. I tend to be impatient, so I know how you feel.

Comment

Working...
                  X