new project w/pix suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new project w/pix suggestions please

So I got this DXMG body from egay where the dude had routed out the volume cavity in a most insane manner :

I'm attempting to end up with a 1 hum 1 vol guitar with a maple top.Sooo...here's what I've got so far any help in this is greatly appreciated.

I started off by smoothing the damage with my dremel just lightly sanding the inside of the hole.I then grinded out the conductive paint in the neck pickup route:

I then flipped it over and took off the paint inside the damaged cavity and the pickup switch also :

My first attempt at blocking the neck pickup with solid poplar ,looks like a bar of soap (what the hell would that sound like?):

Next I fashioned a couple of pieces of poplar to fill the route for the switch and the first layer of the volume cavity:

A closer shot of the repair...these pieces are 1/8" thick and fit flush with the rest of the cavity,however I haven't decided to put another thicker piece over the top of this whole section of the cavity for strength then route out a new volume cavity or not.Any ideas? These haven't been glued in yet so I can still change my mind if there might be a better way :

I chucked the soap bar and made a new piece that fills the whole route,I didn't want to have to fill the sides or route it out more for a bigger piece,why take away wood to add it,so I did it the hard way instead.Anyone have a better method of doing this I'm all ears! I also fit another piece of poplar to fill the top side of the damaged volume pot hole:

These aren't glued in yet so I can still rethink things if need be,however the top doesn't have to be perfect,it has to be FLAT since I'm putting a maple veneer on it.Also,does anyone know if there are volume pots with shafts long enough that would work a depth of 1/2"or possibly more like 3/4" of wood? I could reroute the cavity to fit a normal pot but dammit I don't wanna! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I could take the ghetto way and just stick it where the tone control went,but that might look a little queer ,I don't use the volume much anyhow,I use a volume pedal so that's not an issue.

Re: new project w/pix suggestions please

I cant answer all yer Q fully as i am slightly medicated tonight.

See the Rhoads thread to join inthe bashing.,...

anyways, yes, there are CTS Pot that are long enuff..

EP 0686-000
    $7.50

All Parts
    500K Audio Pot, 3/4" Long Threaded Bushing, CTS, Split Shaft, With Hardware

They alos have the minis in same shaft depth..

Comment

As long as you're not insanely destructive I don't see the volume fix to be a problem as it is. Just seal it up nice and tight and it should be fine.

Check out http://www.mouser.com for any and all potentiometer needs.

Comment

Excellent! Good news ,thanks guys....keep it coming [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

how thick is your maple cap going to be? That will help reinforce the volume pot area too.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

It's a veneer,so not much support from it I'm afraid.

Originally posted by VitaminG:
            how thick is your maple cap going to be? That will help reinforce the volume pot area too.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Cool pics and project! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I hope to see more pics and progress threads!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Oh yeah, what neck will you be using?

Any idea what happened to the original neck?
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                  Oh yeah, what neck will you be using?

Any idea what happened to the original neck?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He probably snapped the neck [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  IIRC he used the neck for another guitar body,but I just bought a used KE-3 for the neck,tuners,bridge and jack,I'm digging the neck because it's a non-reverse headstock but it has reverse sharkies.I have everything else (it came with the body ) and will only lack a pickup which I haven't decided on yet,maybe an EMG ,if nothing else they look pretty slick in 1 hum guitars [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Tonight I filled the tone cavity and ordered a long volume pot (thanks guys!) and hopefully this weekend I'll start taking off the paint on the top of the guitar down to the wood,I'm torn between sanding the whole guitar or trying to leave the black on the back since I'm going to spray a black burst on the edges anyway.Not only that,but I will just end up scratching the back of it sooner or later and the factory job (on the back) is in damn good shape,the body is barely a year old.

Anyone have any suggestion on how to do a half-ass finish on this? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks chuckracer! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm still wide open on this for any suggestions before the weekend,hopefully I'm on the right path for what I have to work with.I blame this forum for making me take this on,so it had better come out good! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Make the block to fill the neck pickup hole too tall, then sand it flat when you take the paint off the face of the guitar. I hope you have a palm sander to do it, or you'll be there for days.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                        Make the block to fill the neck pickup hole too tall, then sand it flat when you take the paint off the face of the guitar. I hope you have a palm sander to do it, or you'll be there for days.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well thought of,it's been my exact plan (I'm trying to think of everything that COULD go wrong before it does [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) so I left about 1/8" across the top of the block and about 1/16" on the round piece that covers the volume pot hole.

I do have a palm sander and plan to start by sanding each block of poplar until I start hitting paint even with the wood,then fill any gaps and sand the whole thing at once.

Excellent suggestion!

I ordered an assload of veneer today so I should have a bunch of patterns to chose from,does anyone have experience with which glue to use? I have titebond but I'm worried about bleed through,I'll have plenty of stock to test first but if anyone knows of something better to use I'll start with that instead.The top will be about 1/40" thick.

Comment

http://members.cox.net/ampage/

Comment

Just exactly how much is an assload? Is that a metric or imperial assload? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What kind of veneer? Maple? Figured?
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                              Just exactly how much is an assload? Is that a metric or imperial assload? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What kind of veneer? Maple? Figured?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A Rosie O'Donell size assload [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ....I bought 40 sq.feet of flame maple to be bookmatched and an awesome sheet of quilted,which I could slice and then bookmatch OR just put one whole piece instead.I'm still undecided which to use,maybe I'll take some different photos of the veneer once it's ready and stick some pics on here for debate [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X