No announcement yet.

Ammount of force needed to tighten ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammount of force needed to tighten ...

the string saddles, locking nut, and anything else on a guitar that clamps ?

I've just recently had a JT6 burn out on me, and now im weary that it is me who is stripping the trem, rather than it just going bad with age and use.

Should I tighten everything as tight as possible ? Or slightly less or how much ? Excuse my ignorance but me and floyds have just never gotten along.

Re: Ammount of force needed to tighten ...

Just tighten everything enough so it's snug. No need to overtighten and risk stripping.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just tighten until i feel some resistance, and then turn just slightly more, maybe a tenth of a turn or so. since i am heavy handed, i always put the long end of the wrench into the nut, to reduce the torque, and just use two fingers to tighten.

Comment

I finger-tighten it, then give it about a quarter turn with the allen wrench.

Comment

oh god, it has been me. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep. In the '80s when I first started playing, I used to strip out Floyd nut screws all the time by overtightening. They're cheap to replace from a guitar shop or hardware store, though. I've never stripped out the locking pins on Floyd or JT6 bridge, but it seems the JT6 is more prone to it with its softer metal.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
              I just tighten until i feel some resistance, and then turn just slightly more, maybe a tenth of a turn or so. since i am heavy handed, i always put the long end of the wrench into the nut, to reduce the torque, and just use two fingers to tighten.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">EXACTLY@!!

Im the same way!!

Good advice for those of us that dont know our own strength....

Comment

The first OFR I had (on a Kramer Focus 1000) I busted a saddle in half by overtightening the string lock screw [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                So yeah, ease up there, hamfist [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I use the T handle allen wrenches that are made of a single piece of metal whenever I can. When the handle starts bending, I stop.

Comment

Working...
                  X