Single Coil in humbucker spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Coil in humbucker spot?

This isnt strictly jackson related, ( [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] okay its not Jackson related at all, but I was hoping you could help. Ive got a tokai les paul and Im trying desperately to get the nice twangy single coil neck sound, and I cant. I was wondering how difficult it would be to place a single coil in the pickup surround (ie one with the same spring attachments etc, just not a humbucker. I know it would look sh!t but for now that doesnt matter. would a single coil fit?
    john

Re: Single Coil in humbucker spot?

I have actually seen it done. On a Jackson PS4, actually, so that's Jackson related [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The single coil was mounted on the regular humbucker screws. You could space either side of the pickup as it floated in the pickup ring.

But IIRC, you can buy a ring that covers the old humbucker hole, and mounts the single coil squarely in the centre. It still won't look great, but it'll be a lot tidier.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I just found one at Allparts.com . It mounts the single at an angle in the old humbucker rout
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Why don't you just get a 4 wire humbucker and coil tap it.

Comment

hey John i did that once with my warlock, Great clean tone [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but horrible with distortion [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

i think a company makes a single coil in a humbucker housing

checked and Dimarzio has the "humbucker from hell"

Comment

thanks a lot dudes [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] . remember though I'm in merry old england, and there are not that many places to get a wide variety of pickups and related stuff. ideally I would like to be able to choose any kind of single coil and at the moment am veering towards a lace gold. therfore I wouldnt mind just slotting it in for now. would it fit? ie same mounting screws and springs, just a single coil?
            btw, if anyone knows where to get those covers to blank out the humbucker hole into a single coil one in england, that would be great [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey there John, I could actually make you a custom pickup ring if you like. You wouldn't be limited to what other manufacturers make and you could come up with your own design. If you're interested, please contact me at:
              [email protected]
              Please ask others around here if you are unsure in dealing with me. I am a trustworthy person and I only want your satisfaction or you can have your money back.

Thanks,
              Dave->
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

thanks, Ill remember that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . For now the replacement pickup idea is on the back burner, I'm sorting out my soloist at the moment for gig on saturday. But Ill bear your offer in mind.
                thanks everyone [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I vouch for Dave!! I have three of his custom pickup rings, and plan on buying more!

Comment

Like Saven_g said, get a DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell. It's a single coil pickup in a full humbucker housing. Problem solved. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] EMG also does this with their H and HA models (Kirk Hammett uses the H in his Rhoads neck position).

[ November 09, 2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

hey John i told you already
                      hey John i did that once with my warlock
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">put a single coil in the neck pos. of my Nj Warlock and it sounded nice looked funky though , with a white pickup on an all black guitar

Comment

Coil tapping a humbucker does nothing to the output until you activate the coil tap. Just about any pickup you buy from Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan will be 4 wire and coil tap ready. I don't see the problem. Just by a PAF Pro and coil tap it. Done.

Comment

If you are going with the Lace gold, I believe you can actually buy them as a dual coil gold humbucker, and then you could just wire up one of the coils. Then it would look normal and get the sound you like. By the way, those Lace sensor pickups really do sound great-I played a strat loaded with them one time and it was awesome. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X