Guitarelectronics.com and wiring in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitarelectronics.com and wiring in general

Okay, at my tech shop, I am REALLY upset with the guy I have do my wiring, I looked inside a few guitars I had done for customers, cold solder joints, and just a plain mess inside.

My knowledge of wiring a guitar ends at one pickup, one knob, input. I went to electronics school for awhile, it was years ago, and my 4 year degree was wasted in 3 years (I had medical reasons that kept me out of school) so I medically withdrew.

Anyway, I paid to have this guitar, and another wired by a local store, since this ass messed them up, and lost money on it, just to keep a customer.

I need to see some wiring diagrams that any retard could read. I went to guitarelectronics.com, and looked for a 2 hum, one volume, 3 way selector switch, and could not find it. It would only show ones with a toggle, and I do not know how to transistion from a toggle to a slider.

Is there another site with more diagrams, or more accurate ones?

I figure I have that one Charvel I wired for one pickup, I can use that as an experiment in a few different configurations, and then I will just wire the repairs that come into my shop myself.

Forgive me for being stupid.

Re: Guitarelectronics.com and wiring in general

1. You are NOT stupid.
    2. Check for wiring diagrams at this site
    If you can't find it there, I wish I knew how to draw schematics, but ask me when I've had 3 fewer beers, and I can help better!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Ace thanks! Within a few moments, I have my Charvel wired, all 3 pickups, and then back to the just one. I am overly confident, with a diagram I can wire just about anything.

It is kind of like this, if you follow the directions, you cannot be wrong.

I am sure I will have to follow the diagrams to a T for awhile, but then after a few of the same, I will be doing rewiring without any problem.

This is the first time I have seen the guy have a damn problem (that I knew of), but I opened up the guitar and looked, and was like, omfg, what the hell is this crap.

I can only imagine how many more were like that.

See I have a guy now who does anything I cannot do, and he is VERY reputable, and I know he does NOT foul up.

Myself, I do floyd rose set ups, string changes, thourough cleaning and oiling (like a car tune up), and some very MINOR wiring in the past.

Then I had this guy for wiring, but I think I will stick to the wiring, as long as I can get a diagram.

Thanks!

Comment

Honestly, you shouldn't have a wiring guy that lets cold solders pass. That is just plain lazy. Same goes for sloppy wiring. Any time you do any electronics work, you should check both on a multimeter and by plugging in.

Comment

http://www.emgpickups.com/wiringbook.html

Here you have wiring schems. for EMG pickups too in case you need them.

Here are some tricks:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...techtips.shtml

Also, try to understand why you do something (like why is this wire going here etc), and not just how to do it. Once you know it you can do any wiring asked for, including schaller #"¤(# mega-switches [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Please don't flame me for this guys... ! ... I'm putting pickups in one of my friends guitars. He brought over a couple of Ibanez Infinitys (3 conductor). I went to the Ibanez site for a diagram......they have about 100 diagrams on that site, but you'll have to search for the right combo because it's their model #'s. 75% of Ibanez guitars use a blade switch so there were plenty of wiring options with those on there. They were VERY easy to read.

[ November 08, 2003, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: kremit ]

Comment

Ace, the thing is I did not know he was wiring them like this.

He came back about 4 days after having this one guitar, and said he could not figure it out.

I understand how the switch works and such, the pickups hot and ground, and the coil taps on them, I just never thought about wiring a guitar.

The more I think about it, I am kind of stupid for not even thinking about it myself, I am thinking of the components in my head, and engineering school is coming back to me.

I am going to wire something, I will post pics when I am done.

Comment

The handiest tool you can have for wiring is a set of jumpers - different colored wires with alligator clips at both ends. Start clipping them onto different contact points to find what you want and THEN solder the real wires. Saves you time AND solder AND you don't run the risk of killing the wires by soldering/desoldering all the time [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc: I'll put that in the "Stupid s**t I should have thought of years ago" file. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've long considered wiring up all my gear with spade type connectors. You want easy pickup swaps? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ace: You and that damn multimeter... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] on the spade connectors idea [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Either that or those twist-together connectors - maybe male/female mini coax? How about putting in a small block with speaker/style clamp connectors where you push the lever to open the clamp and stick the wire in?
                    I could spend a fortune in Radio Slack going through all the different connectors and sh1t [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

[ November 10, 2003, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                      [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] on the spade connectors idea [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Either that or those twist-together connectors - maybe male/female mini coax? How about putting in a small block with speaker/style clamp connectors where you push the lever to open the clamp and stick the wire in?
                      I could spend a fortune in Radio Slack going through all the different connectors and sh1t [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hear ya! Ya can't have too many connector adapters! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                      X