Problem with "d" string.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with "d" string.

There could also be a problem with the saddles being adjusted too far up. When you back out the saddles screws too far, the saddle lifts up in the back and the string doesn't make good contact at the front, which can cause that weirdass sound.

Ignore this if you don't have a Floyd. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ace is probably right, but the more you know...

Re: Problem with "d" string.

The setup of the guitar hasnt changed since leaving the Jackson factory, but I do notice the saddle of the D string (thats provided im looking at the right part) is raised more then the other strings.

How do I lower this or set this right.

Comment

Floyd saddles are supposed to be three different sizes anyway. The two Es are lowest, the B and A are higher, the G and D are the highest. You can put metal shims under them to change them if you want.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

How do you wind your strings on the machine heads, downwards or upwards?
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Erm ive got to think about this one.

I wind them in coming from the right hand side twisting the machine head anti-clockwise.

Comment

I'm with Ace on this one, it's the nut. Remove the string and check the nut slot. It should be a little deeper toward the peghead and a little shallower toward the fretboard.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy:
              Erm ive got to think about this one.

I wind them in coming from the right hand side twisting the machine head anti-clockwise.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">let me put it another way. is there an obvious change in the angle of the string at the nut? Believe it or not, I knew some guy who wound his strings upwards on the machinehead posts. The string ended up being so high up off the headstock that it didn't seat properly in the nut.

Aces theory is probably more likely.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Re: Problem with &quot;d&quot; string.

I think I know what your talking about, when I hit an open D on my les paul, it makes a weird sound, and often its a pickups screw rattlings, or a pickup bezel screws loose.

Comment

He said that it was a KV2, which has a locking Floyd nut. If the problem was with the bridge it wouldn't go away when he fretted the string. I am 98% sure that it is the nut. Nuts can come bad from the factory. Has the problem developed since you had the guitar, or did it come from the factory like that? How old is the guitar? Are you the original owner? Also if it was loose screws, and it only had that effect on the open D string, it should either go away when he changes the tuning very slightly, or it would happen any time he played a D anywhere on the neck.

[ November 07, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

I am the origional owner, and I do believe it had this problem since I bought it, its just now I really notice it. I recieved the gutiar in febuary.

So are we in agreement it might be a duff nut? Am i covered with any sort of warranty...problem is I got the guitar from USA and i like in the UK. So i disregarded my warranty card etc as its for residents of the USA only.

Hmph.

Comment

I have no idea how the warranty card works, but I am sure that this would be covered under warranty. The repair is simple, either you need to get the nut replaced, or you can possibly have it fixed. As to wether it is fixable, I would need to personally look at it to determine that, but I am 100% sure that Jackson will replace the defective nut once you figure your way through the red tape. I just wish you people lived closer so I could personally look at your guitars!! I need the practice.

Comment

Problem with &quot;d&quot; string.

Right hope someone will understand what im trying to say.

When I hit an open D string on my KV2, it sounds wrong. Almost like the vibrations arent quite making the right sound and stops vibrating quite quickly. Its perfectly in tune and yet when fretted vibrates like normal and sounds great, its just when the open D is played it makes a funny sound, not fret buzz or anything like that. Almost sounds like a sitar sort of noise. And I cant figure out what the hell is going on. I thought it might be duff strings, so I changed them, just set everythign up and it still does it. Only the D string though.

You can imagine my fristration playing the intro to Hangar 18 at the start, hit the d string and i get this horrible noise.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Sounds like possibly your nut is too low. Check the clearance from the bottom of the D string to the top of the 1st fret with a feeler gauge. It should be around 0.018" for all the strings. Also possibly your nut has a false edge at the D string, giving it two points of contact at the nut instead of one. That would cause the string to buzz out early too.

Comment

Take the nut off and check the number on the bottom and find another one in a store or have a guitar tech measure it against a new one of the same number to see if yous is not in spec.You can always shim the nut to raise it a little.Any good guitar shop will carry floyd nut shims.You may also have a high fret.The d string may be hitting the first or second fret when played open.
                            It could be quite a few things or a combiation one or two minor things.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Shimming a nut with a false edge won't fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X