Rusty Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Floyd

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people. With that said, I'm about to test that statement. I have surface rust and plain wear on some of the hardware of my floyd (screws). Has anyone tried to use the "blueing" repair that is used on rifle barrels to prevent rust and add the color back? You would have thought the since Floyd lives here in the Seattle area, He would have did something about Rust!
    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Re: Rusty Floyd

That might work, but I'd just use some WD40, scrub with a toothbrush if need be.

[ November 07, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sometimes the rust is not stuck permanently on the trem. In this case, and in the case of grime/build up, I place the entire Floyd under hot tap water and clean with regular hand soap. Scrub it on with an old tooth brush. Rinse in the hottest tap water you can get and then completely dry it. The heat helps to remove the cruddy grime and the soap pulls off any other unidentified matter. Works for me every time. Joe's right, clean the trem and then oil it for the best way to hide/remove rust and wear.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Thank you both for the tip on how to clean and maintain the floyd. I have a Model 6 that is not rusty, but the blk. finish on the end of the fine tuners have worn off (cross thread pattern). Some are more brass looking that the others. I think I'll try the blueing on them for kicks and see what happens. Better yet, I have a Gibson WRC that has the same issue, so if it goes to hell, I won't feel so bad. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Just a F.Y.I..... I used a Blueing kit that contained a cleaner, stripper and blueing. Got it a a sporting goods store. It worked Great! The screws that lock the strings in and fine tuners look like brand new. It's not a paint, more like a dye, so the threads do not get messed up. I did clean the rest of it with soap and water. That worked great also, but one of my kids is still looking for her toothbrush. Thx's

Comment

Hey, that's great to hear! Maybe I'll try that stuff on one of my Jacksons TOM bridge that's slightly discolored over the years where my palm rests on it.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have had some really crusty Floyds pass through that were so rusted, all of the screws were seized. What I do on a really rusty Floyd is drop it into a jar and hose it down with WD-40. If I can get enough in there to submerge the saddles, that is best. I then cap it off and let it sit over night. Pull it out and try moving the screws. If none move you can either let it sit longer, or use heat. I use a butane cigar lighter to heat up parts as it is hotter than a gegular lighter, but not like a torch either. That often will break the parts free, but sometimes under extreme circumstances you will need to let the Floyd sit in the WD40 for a week to get it to come apart.

Comment

I have a little "dunk tank" that works killer. I bought a gallon of WD40 from the auto parts store (cheaper than buying aerosol cans) and put about 3/4 of it in a gallon pickle jar. When I have rusty or corroded hardware I just tie a string on 'em, drop 'em in the jar, put the lid on, and let them soak a few days. You can dunk a whole trem in there no problem. For small screws, etc., just put all of them in a coffee filter, tie it shut, and dunk it!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                X