Well, I'm confused...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I'm confused...........

Been awhile since I wired up EMGs but something odd is going on. I have 1 EMG 85 and 1 Volume pot(25k). If the Volume scale was 1 to 10, for some reason it is at full volume at around 7 or 8. When I turn it all the way up it fades out. Man, I feel like an idiot all of a sudden and I know I'm doing something stupid here so help and idiot out ok? The pot is supposed to be brand new and I used EMGs schematics to check my work and it's all wired correctly. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
    Dave->

[ November 03, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Re: Well, I\'m confused...........

Sounds like a bad pot or a faulty battery. You can check the pot with a multimeter. It should increase from 0 to 25K at full rotation. I bet it doesn't. Also, make sure you have a fresh battery. MOST IMPORTANT!!! Make sure your guitar cord is completely plugged into the output jack. EMG output jacks are really tight when you plug in your cord. Make sure it is completely plugged in!!!

Comment

I would suspect the pot. Is it an audio taper?
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Finally, I had a bad grounding area from the shielding to the pot casing. It "looked" like it was right but apparently it wasn't. Thanks for the input fellers, it's nice to know someones out there to help when I temporarily become an idiot [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !
        So keep this info under your hat. If your volume sounds normal at halfway but it fades out as your turn it completely up, it's probably a bad grounding of the shielding on the pickup wire [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

That's a common problem bro, most folks don't realize how hot the pot casing really needs to be to properly solder anything to it. The majority of all "cold joints" I've found have been on pot casings and trem spring claws. Use a good flux and a high-watt gun and don't be afraid to get that bastage HOT! Cool you got it fixed bro! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
          X