Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different in front- or back-mounted locking nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different in front- or back-mounted locking nut?

When looking at various catalogs and websites, I notice that nobody seems to differentiate between locking nuts that screw on from the front (most Jacksons) vs. those that screw on from the back (Stew-Mac/Schaller, etc.), and am wondering if a Schaller nut will mount fine from the front, assuming I have the right screws.

If not, who is a good source? In this case, I need an R3 nut for a Jackson neck.
    sigpic

Re: Different in front- or back-mounted locking nut?

I don't know about the Schaller, but Carvin uses the R3 for theirs (1 11/16 nut width). They also have them available for 1 5/8" width which is the R3-2.) I'm pretty sure they're front mounted like you need.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I never thought to check with Carvin. It looks like just what I need. Good call, Toejam!
      sigpic

Comment

Sure, no problem. Carvin's good with Floyds and all types of parts.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just FYI, all of the newer Floyd nuts can be mounted either way. The mounting holes are threaded, for mounting through the neck, and the holes are countersunk, for top mounting. However, the new Floyd nuts come with the small woodscrews for top mounting, only. You would need to get the allen headed machine screws for the back mounted style. Be careful, there are about 10 different lengths for the through the neck machine screws.

Comment

I've bought a couple of brand new Schaller trems and they both came with old school thru neck mounting screws and 42mm blocks. It's like it's the early 80's again!

As mentioned, they can be mounted both ways, you just need to use screws to top mount them.

Any nut that has an RX number and says made in Germany is made by Schaller, be it from Stew Mac or Carvin or whoever. Made in Germany=Made By Schaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby:
              I've bought a couple of brand new Schaller trems and they both came with old school thru neck mounting screws and 42mm blocks. It's like it's the early 80's again!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can I ask you where you got the Schaller? I need to find a gold one with long block for my surface mount body.

Comment

I got a new black one OEM in box thru my tech guy, who just ordered it from his supplier and a nifty gold OEM one without box from a JCFer, who I can't recall.

They are pretty easy to get, anybody with decent accounts should be able to order one in for you, and they seem to come with the 42mm block still. I'm pretty sure I have a spare 42mm block lying around somewhere as I needed a 32mm on one of the guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby:
                  I got a ...nifty gold OEM one without box from a JCFer, who I can't recall.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That'd be me. How did that work out for you?
                  Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
                  www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
                  [email protected]

Comment

That was you!!...it's great, haven't used it yet though, it was a pre emptive purchase for a guitar yet to be built. Figured I'd score the trem when it was available. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X