Volume pot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume pot question

I need some opinions. I have a Jackson USA Tele #1873 with a hum/sing and 1 volume with a 3 pos switch. The stock volume pot crapped out. It has no markings on it stating its value although when I tested it it measured around 390K so I must assume it is a 500K pot. What do you guys recommend as a replacement. It is a long shaft pot. I have a few 250K long shafts. Both of the pickups are humbuckers. The single is an HS-2 stacked Dimarzio and the bridge is a a standard humbucker. Should I go 250K, 500K, or maybe 1Meg. I usually install treble bleeds on my volume pots but if I use a 250K pot wouldn't that brighten up the sound without having to install a treble bleed?

Re: Volume pot question

250k will darken or cut highs. Typical single coil pot used for chilling out the brightness of the singles.

500k would be typical and/or appropriate for a humbucker.

1meg would generally brighten or allow more highs through...

I personally stick with the middle ground, although on dark sounding some guitars, I would opt for the 1meg.

Comment

I am going to try a 350k linear taper pot. I have some really nice Clarostat RV4NAYSD354A pots. It might be a nice balance between the darkness of a 250K and the brightness of a 500K. What do you think?

Comment

it needs to be an audio taper pot, otherwise turning the pot will give disproportionate increases/decreases in volume. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] if you see what i mean.
        basically sound volume to our ears does not increase in a linear fashion, thus the decibel scale is all dodgy (i forget the exact figures), and you cant use linear pots for volume.

on another note, i would use a 500k for humbuckers. ive got 500k for tone and volume in mine at the moment, it matches pretty well. have a search on the web for fender 'no-load' pots, they look cool [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
        hope i have been of help
        john

Comment

You can do the opposite and have linear pots for volume and audio for tone. That's the way Carvin does it, and both my Carvins sound fine. Not sure why they do it that way, though. They use 500k for both.

[ October 31, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

can you? oh right, my bad [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer to have a linear pot as my vol control actually. The logarithmic pots might have a smoother sounding change in volume, but personally I prefer the linear pots for volume. Sorta has more detail in the higher levels, whereas the log pots are the opposite, more detail in the lower areas.... IMHO. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X