No announcement yet.

Volume pedal to act like an attenuator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume pedal to act like an attenuator?

Can I crank my amp and just use a volume pedal in the effects loop to keep the volume lower and essentially get the same results as using a THD Hotplate or other power soak/attenuator unit?

[ October 31, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Volume pedal to act like an attenuator?

Originally posted by toejam:
    Can I crank my amp and just use a volume pedal in the effects loop to keep the volume lower and essentially get the same results as using a THD Hotplate or other power soak/attenuator unit?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope, doesn't work that way. There's some guy on ebay selling a radio-shack parts box with a volume pot wired in it as an 'attenuator' device to go in the fx loop.

Really, most master volume high gain amps like a boogie isn't really going to get tonal nirvana from being cranked... most amps that really sound good attenuated are lower gain amps. Add lots of distortion to an amp that is super-cranked, and you get mud and mush.

Pete

Comment

Thanks, Pete. Makes sense. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I did see that little box on ebay and that's what made me wonder about the volume pedal thing.

[ October 31, 2003, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Pete, correct me if I'm wrong, but for any attenuation device to work correctly doesn't it have to be between the amp and speakers as opposed to in the effects loop?
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
          Pete, correct me if I'm wrong, but for any attenuation device to work correctly doesn't it have to be between the amp and speakers as opposed to in the effects loop?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep. because you want it after the power tubes and output transformer so you get the 'whole sound' of the amp.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep. because you want it after the power tubes and output transformer so you get the 'whole sound' of the amp.

Pete

Comment

Hehe - echo effects in text messages [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Newc

[ October 31, 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X