fret help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fret help!

I have been trying to figure out for a while why my model 4 is fretting out in the upper register, and i think i discovered that my 19 fret is higher than the rest. When i fret the g string at the 17th, it sounds the 19th fret note. The frets all look in good shape and there are no obvious signs of much wear. How can i fix this?

Re: fret help!

Seems like you've got a dead fret. I had a Kramer in the '80s that did that, the notes on the 16th and 17th frets sounded the same. I wound up selling that guitar to someone else, but I probably should have taken it in to a tech to get looked at. I wish I still had that guitar, as it had a non-fine-tuning Floyd on it.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

well, I took the end of a metal ruler and held against three frets at a time to see if it "rocked" and it did on that fret. IF there any JCFers in the central PA region (i forget who you are!)could you reccomend a good tech to do a levewling or dressing or whatever this may need? Thanks!

Comment

Jack (Slayer) is in Pennsylvania, and I think Dave (Budman) is, too.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

See if you can get the fret to lay down flat. If you can get it to sit properly, but it springs right back up, try supergluing it down and holding it there, NOT WITH YOUR FINGER!! Also try tapping it with a screwdriver. If it sounds different than the frets around it, it's most likely not seated properly. If that doesn't work, and you need a re-fret, I'll do it if you can't find someone out there.

[ October 30, 2003, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

look closely at the frets, and see if one isn't seated properly. you may be able to tap it back into place with a hammer. (carefully, and take the strings off the guitar - if you hit a string into a fret with a hammer, you WILL dent the fret.. don't ask me how I know this) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If your frets are all seated properly and you still have buzz, a slight leveling may take care of it. If you can't tap it back into place, take it to a local luthier.

Pete

Comment

im in central maryland, close to the penn border if you want to send it to us, our fret guy is a whiz

Comment

Originally posted by Trillian Guitars:
                im in central maryland, close to the penn border if you want to send it to us, our fret guy is a whiz
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That would most likely be cheaper than sending it to me. Shipping alone would be about $60.

Comment

Working...
                X