Stew-mac kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stew-mac kits

This may not be the right place for this question, but has anyone here ever used the kits from Stew-mac to build an acoustic guitar? I was thinking of maybe trying one and was looking for some non-biased opinions. Thanks!

Re: Stew-mac kits

Their kits are great quality and make an extremely nice guitar when finished. Don't think that you're going to buy the kit and have everything you need though, it's only the beginning. (unless you've built acoustic guitars and have all the correct tools) You'll spend at least the price of the kit again on tools, hardware, etc. to complete it (to do it right that is). If you've never built an acoustic I would suggest getting some books on acoustic guitar construction and read read read before you start purchasing kits or supplies. I've seen a few of these attempted by people who had no clue what they were doing and ended up with a $700.00 piece of unplayable crap! You'll have fun doing it though, and what a feeling of accomplishment you'll get with the finished product! Take your time and pay attention to every detail. Good luck if you decide to try it and please post pics!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I have assembled a few Martin kits over the years (which the Stew Mac kit is an alternative of). Heed the advice above as this is something you will still need specialized tools for. The most important tool is a neck jig. Next would be the binding channel router guide, three dozen or so spool clamps, and all of the fretting tools except for a fret saw (fret nippers, hammer, the assortment of different dressing files, etc). Constructing one of these is a bit different than just screwing together a solid body kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
        I have assembled a few Martin kits over the years (which the Stew Mac kit is an alternative of). Heed the advice above as this is something you will still need specialized tools for. The most important tool is a neck jig. Next would be the binding channel router guide, three dozen or so spool clamps, and all of the fretting tools except for a fret saw (fret nippers, hammer, the assortment of different dressing files, etc). Constructing one of these is a bit different than just screwing together a solid body kit.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jim, I've built the Martin kits also and they didn't even have pre-bent sides like the Stew kits! (at least the ones I built didn't) nor did they have pre-shaped necks.....just a 1" thick slab of mahogany was all ya got. I built my first bending iron from a piece of 3" aluminum tubing and a propane torch, and used my bathtub as a soaking tank. Also, I'm not sure if the Stew kits already have the spruce top halves planed to the correct (Martin standard) 3/32" thickness these days but if not, that is some major tedious work and the sound is dependent on this factor plus the bracing.......(plus many other things [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) Anyway, if anybody wants to build a "real" guitar this is a good way to get your feet wet. Anybody can screw together an electric solid body.

Comment

If i build the kit, would it be less exppensive to have the frets done professionally? Instead of spending money on all those files? My thinking is that i have not found a nice acoustic that UI like, so I was thinking I could build my own. I might be insane....

Comment

I was getting Martin kits with pre-bent sides and partially shaped necks..I didn't know when they stopped offering them. It has been atleast 6 years since I bought one, so I am definately out of the loop.

Comment

what do you guys think is better: stew mac or carvin kits?

Comment

Does Carvin offer an accoustic kit?

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                  If i build the kit, would it be less exppensive to have the frets done professionally? Instead of spending money on all those files? My thinking is that i have not found a nice acoustic that UI like, so I was thinking I could build my own. I might be insane....
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you're just looking at this as a way to get a cheap acoustic guitar, look elsewhere. You'd be better off just driving around to music stores within a few hours of your home and trying out as many different acoustics as you can. I really don't see how building a kit is going to get you the guitar of your dreams if you've never found an acoustic you liked... what about the kit makes you think that if you could assemble it properly it would be what you want?

Pete

Comment

geez, pete. who peed in your cornflakes? I just thought it might be fun to try it out and was looking for some info.........

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                      geez, pete. who peed in your cornflakes? I just thought it might be fun to try it out and was looking for some info.........
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry you saw it that way, but if you want a polly prissypants answer, look elsewhere. An acoustic guitar kit isn't the place to start your career in guitar building unless you have a lot of time, tools and patience. If you're going to have to farm out the fretwork, you might as well have someone else build the entire thing.

Pete

Comment

Pete, I agree with the fact that if this is his first attempt at building a guitar it's probably not going to end up being anything close to his dream guitar, but I disagree with you trying to discourage him from doing it. I built my first accoustic guitar from SCRATCH at the ripe old age of 14! (that was 26 years ago btw) It wasn't perfect and it definitely had its flaws but by God it played (and not too damned bad either!) and I was so proud of it because I built it! I spent over 8 months on that guitar and a lot of the specialty tools I made myself such as clamps, scrapers, edge binding cutter, rosette cutter, bending iron, body side molds, inlay chisels, and many more I can't think of. I cut my own inlays from mussel shells I got at the river and hand-sawed my own maple and walnut edge binding strips. I built the top halves from 1/2" spruce slabs and hand shaved them to the correct thickness. Everything was from raw chunks of wood right down to the neck and fretboard. Now, if I could do that at 14 years old who would try to discourage someone from at least attempting a stew mac kit?? Hell, all the hard stuff is done for you and yes, you'll spend a lot of $ on tools and supplies but if you can afford it, try it! It will be the most fun project you've ever attempted and you'll learn a great deal about the finer points of guitar building.....and if it turns out like sh!t well hey, it'll make a damn nice clock!

Comment

My discouragement stemmed from the fact that he hasn't found a guitar he liked. If he doesn't know what he likes, how can he build something that he WILL like? It makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm wrong... it just sounds like an awful lot of hard work with a big disappointment in the end, ya know? Now if he said "I played a martin that I liked, but can't afford one" - then he at least has a starting point or a target, and can tailor his kit to be like the guitar he wants but can't afford.

Pete

Comment

Yes, it most likely would be cheaper to get the fretjob done professionally. Good fret files are damned expensive and while fretjobs aren't cheap, they'll cost considerably less than files.

BUT if you're even thinking about building anything in the future, go for the tools and learn to do fretjobs.

Pete: I've never played an acoustic I like, but I'm pretty certain that I could put together a kit the way I want it to be. Besides that, when you build something yourself it's easier mentally to tear it apart and repaint it and shave the neck and fiddle with it until it's just right. I'm not saying I could scratchbuild a Martin qualiy acoustic, but I could definitely put together a kit and get the kind of feel I want.

etaerniura: As long as you realise that what you build WILL be fairly crappy, and are willing to work long and hard at doing it, then go for it. There probably isn't a better way to learn how to build an acoustic, and when you're done you'll start your next one with all the knowledge you gained from this one. If you're just looking for a good guitar, look elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                              Yes, it most likely would be cheaper to get the fretjob done professionally. Good fret files are damned expensive and while fretjobs aren't cheap, they'll cost considerably less than files.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I feel like Mr.Negative here, but a set of files for crowning and leveling frets shouldn't be more than $100, unless you want to get sets for all the different fret widths.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X