Primer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer questions

I've got an old DX 1 poplar body that is stripped down to the bare wood. What is a good primer to use? Also, if I put a graphic (nothing fancy, just a low budget graphic) on it, what's the best way to seal it?

Thanks

Re: Primer questions

you'llneed to use some sealer before primer so the grain doesnt show through the finish you apply.

check reranch for finish tips

Reranch site
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yup, what Shawn said.

Seal it first with a good sandable sealer, apply 1 coat, let dry.. rub the surface with a damp cloth to raise any remaing grain, sand with 320, apply 2 more coats, sand some more.. maybe another coat...

The key is to make sure that the wood grain is flat and sealed, otherwise it'l rise under the primer and the primer/paint will sink.

As far as primer. I like Plasticote's Primer.

It's sandable and safe for Lacquer, Poly and Enamels..

I've used it with all three.

I'm sure there are others though..

Comment

Diamont DP20
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

OK thanks a lot. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Would there be anything wrong with leaving it raw and playing it for now? I haven't quite decided what I want to do with it color/graphic wise yet, but would just like to put it together and be playing it while I decide. Will the untreated wood be damaged by skin oils/dirt? Like I said, it's a DX-1, so the neck is satin finish, just the body is raw right now.
          Thanks

Comment

It would be a good idea to at least put the sealer on it as the guys mentioned above. That would protect the wood from humidity, etc. while you're deciding. Just remember to clean it thoroughly before you start finishing it to remove oils and dirt.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
            X