Adding Collared Arm to JT-6 Trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Collared Arm to JT-6 Trem

Can anyone who has added a collared arm to their JT-6 help me out? I picked up an Allparts Retro Trem Arm kit (BP 1000-003) yesterday. Can't link directly to the Allparts pic, but here it is at StewMac. This is the one that has been referred to in a few different threads as the right replacement arm. I removed the original receiver (socket) from the trem. Now here is the dilemma: How do I mount the new receiver? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] It looks like I'll need to drill out the threaded hole in the trem plate to accept the splined part of the new receiver. I'm not sure that I want to do this, since you can't go back to the stock setup, and there is no guarantee that it will be slop-free. The other possibility is to thread it through from the bottom, but that leaves no threads exposed topside for the collar. It's hard to put this into words, but hopefully someone who has done it understands and can point out my obvious stupid mistake. Thanks!

Re: Adding Collared Arm to JT-6 Trem

I've done this 2 times and it's super ez. Take a round file and go around the inside and take the treads off the hole on the JT-6. Do a little at a time and keep checking with the new socket. When it's big enough push the new socket in and tighten it down. It works great and will be strong and tight. Good luck.

John

Comment

Thanks, John! I think even I can manage this one. The file makes so much more sense than drilling, so the hole will end up exactly right. As for not being able to go back to the original, that's OK. This is a Model 6, not a '62 Strat. It's all about playability. I really appreciate the response.

Comment

It will work great. You only need to take a little bit off the hole to make it fit. The hardest part for me was getting the old socket out.

Comment

quote by DG: "This is a Model 6, not a '62 Strat."

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, the model 6 is a high quality player and the 62 strat is just something to hang on the wall and look at!
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Johno is absolutely right. You don't need to remove that much material at all. Definitely no drilling required. I have done several, and I take a larger, good quality regular screwdriver (no phillips) and use it turn out (scrape away) the threads from the JT6. The JT6 is made out of such cheap pot metal, that it easily scrapes away! Not sure if that is a good thing! The JT6 had some novel ideas, and if they were made with better materials, they have the potential to be a much better trem, although still not as good as an original Floyd. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The JT6 is definitely a cool trem, but those pop-in bars can become sloppy, even soon after replacing the plastic bushings. Ibanez pop-in bars work much better in there, and they don't flop around. I too prefer the Floyd bar with the adjustable cap, but they sometimes can get a little play in them that is annoying.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] The new arm is in, nice & tight. I like the string spacing and the positioning of the fine-tuners on the JT-6, but you're absolutely right about the metal. These knife edges have a fair bit of wear, and it's only a matter of time before I'll be going with a full replacement.

Comment

Working...
                X