Combo amp wood choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo amp wood choices?

I am in the process of building a new enclosure for my Crate Modeling amp. It currently is a 60w open back designed 1 x 12 amp. I want to build a new cabinet for it made out of "real" wood. What type of wood should I use? Should I stick with the open back? I was thinking about making it a 2 x 12 design. I have been told that the sound board (where the speaker is attached) is the most important piece. Does anybody have any suggestions.

Re: Combo amp wood choices?

3/4" Birch plywood is great for speaker cabs. As for the back why not make it removable so you can have it either way?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Oh noo... [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
        Oh noo... [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL Alder, poplar... what's the difference?!? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...And yet you keep coming back to look, Chuck, don't you? It's like a car accident. You can't take your eyes away! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

From my understanding, the type of wood doesn't make as much difference as the construction of the cabinet. As long as the cabinet and front baffle are as rigid as possible, your cab should sound good. As far as for the open/closed back design, you could fashion a plate on the back with hinges so you could have it open, closed, or any where in between. That is how those littel pignose amps are, right? Correct me if I am wrong, but if the back is sealed closed, most of your speakers energy will be transferred forward, and the sound may be a little muddier. If the back is open or ported, some pressure will be forced out the back and you will get a slightly clearer bass, but not quite as much output. Or I could be a moron....

Comment

Well, with closed cabinets, you get more bass and low end thump than you would with an open back cabinet. That's all I know.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                Well, with closed cabinets, you get more bass and low end thump than you would with an open back cabinet. That's all I know.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But Joe.....wouldn't that be dependent on the type of wood used and the type of finish on the wood?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                (sorry..I just had to say that)
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Don't know if it helps, but Carvin uses poplar on some of their amps.

Comment

Working...
                  X