X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locking nut

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

can i put a locking nut on this??

It can be done, I've done it. A shelf will have to built to hold it. You can always opt for a JT6 or Kahler behind the nut lock for a simpler solution.

Comment

Yes, you can, but it is a pretty involved process requiring the addition of a shelf because of the neck-tilt. Most people just add a behind-the-nut lock.

Simul-post

Comment

I actually think it's easier to put a locking nut on one of THESE necks, than on a strat-type neck. Either way, it can be done, with a little bit of careful measuring and routing. Plus, you'll have to mod that original trussrod cover. No biggie, in my book.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

ok then sounds a bit tricky.. is there much point in having a floyd without a locking nut?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodandtears View Post
            ok then sounds a bit tricky.. is there much point in having a floyd without a locking nut?
            You can go with locking tuners also. Same concept, really, as putting the string lock behind the stock nut.
            Guitars:
            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
            1988 Model 2,
            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
            RR3
            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by bloodandtears View Post
              No point at all.... and installing a behind the nut lock is not tricky at all. Just remove the trus cover and install a few screws.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                You can go with locking tuners also. Same concept, really, as putting the string lock behind the stock nut.
                Not really the same. The lock nut will hold tune better than with locking tuners on the J/C headstock. Carvin uses locking tuners as standard on their guitars with Floyds (you can get a locknut for like an extra $20) but it'll stay in tune fine since the strings go right to the tuners in a straight line. J/C headstocks don't put the strings in a straight path, and tuning problems can occur.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks for that guys, the pic sure helped..

Comment

Here's the shelf on my modded '84 neck:

Not sure what it's made of, but it's good & stable. Only drawback is that trussrod access is tight.

Comment

Working...
                    X