Can I put EMG's in this Ibanez?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I put EMG's in this Ibanez?

I'm really not sure what all it takes to put in active pickups, but I am wanting to put EMG's in this guitar pictured below. It is an Ibanez RG170 with a bolt on neck and is HSH as far as pickups. I'm looking to get a SLAYER sound from it. It sounds okay now, but I want to mess with it in hopes to really bring it alive. So here are my questions:

1. Is it best to put an EMG 85 or 81 as the bridge pickup and vica versa?

2. Can I leave the middle single pickup as a passive one? I never use it.

3. Is this something I can do myself even if I have never taken a pickup out of a guitar? I do know how to solder wires (sp?) kind of.

4. Will I have room for a battery? Not sure if guitars have to be specifically made for that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, you can put EMG's in just about anything.
    The problem you may have is electronics cavity in those is pretty tight. No room for a battery. So you may have to do some routing to make room.
    The rest is purley based on taste. You can put either an 81 or 85 in the bridge position without any issues as they are the same size. It's all about what sounds good to you at that point.
    The middle pickup can be left alone... it will not function with EMG volume and tone pots though.
    -Rick

Comment

Remember the 25K pots and the stereo jack.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
        Remember the 25K pots and the stereo jack.
        This is obviously getting way above my head.

Comment

Well, the pots should come with the EMG's so don't worry about it, the only issue I see, Is you might have to cut the screws down so that you can get the pickups up high enough. and the battery might fit, dunno, wrap it in the foam that comes in the EMG box, and shove it in there!

Comment

I was just thinking that he could have bought the pups without the pots.
            Last edited by fett; 10-27-2006, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
              This is obviously getting way above my head.
              Stereo jack is to cut off the circuit when there's no cable plugged in, to save the battery. Anyway like Burn said, if you're buying new, hell it should come pre-wired if memory serves? Thus all you have to do is put it all in there and hit up the Quik-connects.

Comment

That's why there is this forum. It's how I learned a whole lot. These guys will walk you through it.
                Last edited by fett; 10-28-2006, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Nah, mine never were prewired, but it's pretty easy to see whats going on, along with the wiring diagram they give you. yeah, he might have bought them without pots..... hmmmmm.... good point.

Comment

Try making a deal with the store you buy the EMGS from.Tell them youll buy them if they throw in free installation . Id go with a 81/81 or 85 bridge 81 neck..

Comment

And if you take this advice, make sure NOT to buy them from guitar center! Unless you know someone there that knows what they are doing.

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                      Try making a deal with the store you buy the EMGS from.Tell them youll buy them if they throw in free installation . Id go with a 81/81 or 85 bridge 81 neck..

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                        And if you take this advice, make sure NOT to buy them from guitar center! Unless you know someone there that knows what they are doing.

yea DO NOT let GC touch your guitar . Find a real tech or you may end up opening the neighbors garage door when you plug in :ROTF:

Comment

yea DO NOT let GC touch your guitar . Find a real tech or you may end up opening the neighbors garage door when you plug in :ROTF:
                          :ROTF: :ROTF: dont you just love it when you see kids bring their squires in for a string change at GC and it takes the "tech" a few hours to do it

Comment

My local GC doesn't even do repairs... they send stuff out to a couple mom and pop shops. At least they used to. I really don't go in there any more because they're idiots.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Very True!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X