Other options for Charvel than Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other options for Charvel than Floyd?

I'm not a floyd rose fan, and I've spent some time playing other guitars without them, with decent floating bridges and locking tuners. While they won't do everything a floyd can do, I won't either (not really my style).

The V-Trem as I remember could be worked with, but it DID go out of tune a lot. I used to pull the center screws, and pull two springs, IIRC. But it would go out, even with the strings tied really short on the pegs.

Seems there is now a huge gap between the Floyd and the V-Trem.

Will Charvel offer other options, that offer somewhere between the two?

(Even fender has a better basic trem these days - it works well enough for moderate trem - it'd be a good FMIC option).

The Wilkinson VS-100 is a great bridge, and would be my first option if I wasn´t a fan of Floyds. But it´s not a standard option for the current Charvels, so you´d be going custom. The same goes for the Wilkinson VSV that is a direct replacement for a regular six-screw v-trem... and is a big step in the right direction.

Comment

Mickey,
      If you are talking about standard issue guitars,then you don't have many options. Just Floyd or V trem I think. If you are talking custom shop, then there will be more options. They can probably put any bridge you want on one. Contact a dealer for options and pricing.

Comment

If we´re talking about what will be available on the Charvel Standards, I don´t think they´ll go beyond the choice of OFR or v-trem we have today.

Comment

I've been regretting my decision to go Floyd-

I have come to prefer the Wilkinson and wish I had orderded it on my current order, but the Floyd'll do

Comment

My biggest issue with the floyd is the bulky steel nut. I rather like the original (no fine tuner) floyd - it had a lot less mass (though I still disliked the nut). I have been wondering about ordering a floyd guitar with no floyd nut, as an option. Then I would replace the bridge with the non-tuner model (if it's the same size, which I am guessing it is - does anybody know for sure?), and use locking tuners. I am just thinking out loud about that idea...

However, if I could order a Wilkinson, I think I would just do that, with locking schallers, and a phenolic nut.

I didn't know there was an improved Wilkinson drop in replacement for a 6 screw trem - is it compatible with the NOS V-Trem charvel uses?

EDIT: I searched online and found this (VSVG at bottom of catalog page): Gotoh Catalog
            Last edited by Mickey_C; 10-27-2006, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Pic from stewmac... apparently I could drop this right into a V-Trem guitar? Does anybody know?

Comment

Working...
              X