Modding an RX10D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding an RX10D?

Well, I bought this Jackson RX10D cheap a couple of months ago..Got it cheap from a store because one of the fins had a damage during transit - paid like 130 $, which I think is a fair price for one. Rest of the guitar is fine, no nicks or dings whatsoever..However, I'm planning on fixing the fin, and convert the RX to a one humbucker, one vol- setup and painting the bevels white (or silver, haven't decided yet..) Sorta like a "Chris Holmes-lookalike"

My quieston is this: would the guitar benefit from me filling the neck-humbucker cavity with some quality wood, or will bondo do the same trick on a lightweigth guitar like this? (I think the bodywood is alder)

And would a duncan distortion get the job done in the bridge? Or should I go for a JB, since it seems more versatile?

I appreciate any feedback!
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Someone on this forum actually made this same mod...one vol, one hum, black & white bevels and added 24 fret neck, bondo...I think it was Mark (mm02), but I'm not 100% sure. There's a long thread on this, but he (re)moved the pics from his photobucket account and we can't see them anymore. Maybe he'll upload them again!

Comment

My personal opinion is to glue in a block of wood and then fill any gaps with either epoxy or bondo. The goal is to get the block of wood to fit as tight as you can. The bondo will actually weigh more then a block of wood and large quantities of bondo like that tend to really absorb tone and sustain. The wood will act more naturally.

Comment

Where do you find so cheap guitars? You live in Norway dude! You must be using e-bay, right?
        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

OK, found the thread:
          http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48539

And pics work!

Comment

Originally posted by ihocky2 View Post
            My personal opinion is to glue in a block of wood and then fill any gaps with either epoxy or bondo. The goal is to get the block of wood to fit as tight as you can. The bondo will actually weigh more then a block of wood and large quantities of bondo like that tend to really absorb tone and sustain. The wood will act more naturally.
            Yes, that's what I thought too..Use wood as much as possible - get (or atleast try to more sustain!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
              Where do you find so cheap guitars? You live in Norway dude! You must be using e-bay, right?
              Nopes, it was actually for sale in the USED-section on www.sound1.no (or brukt as it says in Norwegian!

I really haven't shopped a single guitar on ebay yet, to me it seems like a whole lot of scammers - and I need to get my knowledge on Charvels up a bit first!...

Comment

I consider mm2002 (Mark) as one of the most proficient modders here and he uses Bondo. All the way. No wood.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I would go with a block of wood as tight as possible, then bondo to fill the rest. I personally couldnt see using that much bondo as being a good thing... A guitars main job is to vibrate, I wouldnt want it cracking.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

He could also fill the cavity with wood + bondo and then veneer the top. That would be the best method.
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Yeah, a good veneer would hide just about anything. Not sure he wants to get that far in depth though.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                        Yeah, a good veneer would hide just about anything. Not sure he wants to get that far in depth though.
                        So that pretty much brings us back to bondo huh? :ROTF:

Hey, maybe I should do some sound clips with various guitars and let you guys guess which ones have bondo in them! That would be fun.
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                          OK, found the thread:
                          http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48539

And pics work!

Thanks so much for the thread! I did a search, but didn't find anything, sorry..

And that mod is just what I'm planning to do, except for changing the neck..(And that makes me unsure wether to call it a mod

Looking at the title of the tread...Should be "Modding a RX10D" right?

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                            So that pretty much brings us back to bondo huh? :ROTF:

Hey, maybe I should do some sound clips with various guitars and let you guys guess which ones have bondo in them! That would be fun.

Hi MM - you're the one that did the AMAZING work on the RX10 in the link, right?

Comment

id go Duncan Distortion. Im not a fan of the JB, even though it and the Distortion are the same pickup, just different magnets (Ceramic vs. Alnico). i like the growl and aggressiveness of Ceramic more. the Distortion can be pretty versatile itself though. good cleans, good mid-gain tones, and awesome high gain. my favorite pickup next to EMG 81s
                              My metal band Lucian Scott
                              Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                              Available Now!
                              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Working...
                              X