ARGH! edge pro 7 tuning problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGH! edge pro 7 tuning problems

Ive owned an Ibanez RG1527 and the bridge on this thing is driving me nuts. The damn thing wont stay in tune at all. I can get it in tune, and then once i depress or raise the whammy bar and come back to the original position it is not in tune at all.

Any helpful hints, or suggestions?

is the edge pro 7 crap? do i need a original floyd?
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

the Edge bridges are good...how old is it? www.ibanezrules.com has a lot of helpful info. one thing ive found is that if the bridge saddle screws come loose youll have loads of problems...try tightening them up to see if that help. make sure you dont have any stripped screws or screw holes, the knife edges are good, the posts are good...etc. one screw loose can throw the whole thing outta whack!
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Are you stretching the strings when you put new ones on before you lock the nut?

Are the nut locks strong enough to calmp down on the gauge of string you are using?

Remember, most double-locking trems are designed around using lighter gauge strings, even 7-string trems. Your clamps may be worn either way.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Are you stretching the strings when you put new ones on before you lock the nut?

Are the nut locks strong enough to calmp down on the gauge of string you are using?

Remember, most double-locking trems are designed around using lighter gauge strings, even 7-string trems. Your clamps may be worn either way.
        theres no need to stretch strings. you should tug on them gently and make sure you have them wound tightly around the tuning pegs, but if you really pull on them you could cause them to become thinner at one point along the string, causing all sorts of intonation problems and even premature wear and breakage. i dont ever stretch my strings and i have no problems staying in tune. i change the strings, tug on them, tune, and make sure they are tight around the posts, lock them down, whammy and check tuning and 99% of the time its nearly dead on, just needs a little fine tuning. to me, stretching = bad! its been proven a few times that strings dont actually stretch (Steinberger trem systems and the Floyd Rose Speedloaders both prove this).
        about the string blocks...they may be worn...as for size of strings, Jeff Loomis uses i think a 70 or 80 gauge low B and doesnt seem to have any problems
        My metal band Lucian Scott
        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
        Available Now!
        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
          theres no need to stretch strings. you should tug on them gently and make sure you have them wound tightly around the tuning pegs, but if you really pull on them you could cause them to become thinner at one point along the string, causing all sorts of intonation problems and even premature wear and breakage. i dont ever stretch my strings and i have no problems staying in tune. i change the strings, tug on them, tune, and make sure they are tight around the posts, lock them down, whammy and check tuning and 99% of the time its nearly dead on, just needs a little fine tuning. to me, stretching = bad! its been proven a few times that strings dont actually stretch (Steinberger trem systems and the Floyd Rose Speedloaders both prove this).
          about the string blocks...they may be worn...as for size of strings, Jeff Loomis uses i think a 70 or 80 gauge low B and doesnt seem to have any problems
          The Speedloader strings are already pre-stretched.

Where you got your info from about strings not needing to be stretched is beyond me. You do need to stretch them, tune up to pitch, stretch them, tune back up to pitch, repeat the process until they don't go out of tune, then lock the nut down.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, if it works for you, that's good. It doesn't work for me, however, and I have never broken a string while doing extreme pullups with a Floyd, so I have to doubt the weakening-of-the-strings idea.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks for the help guys, i ended up taking the guitar to get a badly needed full set up, hopefully this should sort things out.
              www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

you might have the clamps on backwards, which will cause it to not hold the tune.

Comment

Working...
                X