DiMarzio PAF Pro in basswood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio PAF Pro in basswood?

I've tried the PAF Pro in mahogany and love it. Anyone use it in a basswood body?
    sigpic

I had a couple in a basswood RG-570. I thought it was better suited in the neck position in that guitar as I felt it was just a tad harsh at the bridge. I prefer breeds for basswood.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lester View Post
      I felt it was just a tad harsh at the bridge. I prefer breeds for basswood.
      I respectfully disagree. I find them to be on the mellow side in the bridge position my RG550s. I like them, but some people would probably want more power.

Comment

I've had a JEM, and a PGM with PAF Pro in basswood - it sounds even as hell!

But, yea, not enough power for me at bridge.

Comment

Well, less power might work in my favor. I currently have a Steve's Special in this guitar (mentioned in another post) that has apparently gone microphonic. It squeals constantly, even when lowered as far as possible, and that's just not going to work. My favorite pickups in other guitars have been the PAF Pro (in mahogany) and the Full Shred (in ash/alder), and overall, I've been happier with somewhat lower-output pickups. I have basswood guitars with the JB, Invader and EMG 81, and I've decided to go with something that will have a good "vocal" lead tone. The Steve's Special has that, but the output (even without the squealing) is a bit more than I need.
          sigpic

Comment

I had a set of PAF Pros in my GMP (mahogany w/maple cap). Didn't like them at all. Either position, in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
              Well, less power might work in my favor. I currently have a Steve's Special in this guitar (mentioned in another post) that has apparently gone microphonic. It squeals constantly, even when lowered as far as possible, and that's just not going to work. My favorite pickups in other guitars have been the PAF Pro (in mahogany) and the Full Shred (in ash/alder), and overall, I've been happier with somewhat lower-output pickups. I have basswood guitars with the JB, Invader and EMG 81, and I've decided to go with something that will have a good "vocal" lead tone. The Steve's Special has that, but the output (even without the squealing) is a bit more than I need.
              Norton or FRED sound like they might be suitable...

Comment

it's really suitable!If you use a PU booster or a MXR 10 band equlizer ,it will be a monster!Very well defined ,perfect dynamics and nice harmonics!And yeah ,it is really close to Fred ,but it is more organic and sweet ,where Fred tends to be more wild!
                www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

I guess what I'm trying to do is get a tone similar to my Hamer Cali (mahogany with PAF Pro) in a fixed-bridge guitar. Basswood gets a lot of criticism, but I've never had trouble getting a good tone out of it, and the light weight is definitely a plus. I've been reading up on the FRED, Mo' Joe, D-Sonic and a number of Duncans, and keep coming back to the PAF Pro.

I guess it's less a question of the pickup itself, and more a question of how basswood compares to mahogany in terms of tone when using a lower-output pickup.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think bassood is more airy but very similar to mahogany.. I don't have issue with it as a tonewood. I've used a Fred in the bridge with a PAF pro in the neck combo before in maple with good results. I also use a Humbucker from hell with a Tone Zone bridge in an RG770.. and that was my fav stage axe for awhile.

The Airzone looks interesting. If you like a hopped up PAF tone.. I love the Duncan Custom.. which seems to work well in a Mahogany-Basswood type body.

Comment

The BassWood is the perfect Shred wood!Paul Gilbert ,SATCH ,Vai (on 7 string models mostly) ,Petrucci ,EVH...They all use Basswood for it's mid/bass response and weight.But Basswood is "not" rich as Mahogany or Alder ,Poplar or Ash.It is really hard to find better Basswood than Mahogany.
                      DropSonic is really good in a Basswood.Fred is cool too ,but the "vocal" kind of sound is disturbing for riffing!Very articulate and rich in harmonics tho!I liked it in my Basswood Neck.Thru Peavey ,but it lacks in punch in hi-gain sound!Mo'Joe i never checked.Since i use SD's i never got back to DMZ.But The live tone of Gilbert was huge with Paf pros.And he has fixed bridge Basswood guitar!
                      www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

Working...
                      X