Mounting EMGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting EMGs

Well lately I've been looking for another guitar. Yay me. Now to the point. It looking like the one I buy probably won't have EMGs on it. So the idea I have is mounting EMGs on my Charvel CX391. Now for the point of this topic: What is required when putting on EMGs? Do I need to make major changes to my guitar existing eletronics? If so, how much will will it cost (parts and labor) to have them replaced. Also if I were to do so, what would you recommend for a single coil on it? I'm pretty sure I'll get an EMG 85 at the neck position and an 81 at the bridge.

Now before you ask "Why not just save yourself the trouble and get oen with EMGs?" The reason being is a good few I've seen with 81/85s have Floyd Rose trems, and I'm not getting another guitar with a Floyd. Not that I don't like it, but tuning and doing specialized tunings is a bit of a pain, and I would rather not have to do it one 2 guitars. Plus If I put EMGs on my CX391, it would be a nice ESP like metal guitar w/ a floyd.

So thoughts and comments? BTW the guitars I'm considering are a used Epi. Les Paul w/ Seymour duncans, a Gibson SG Vintage, a Fender Mustang, or an ESP Viper (though this isn't very likely as the color I like has EMGs, but no Floyd, but sicne I want EMGs and a Floyd Rose on the same guitar, theres a slight problem there :P)

emg's (i assume you want actives) require 25k pots and stereo output jack. actually mounting them should be the same as mounting any pickup. i've only changed pickups once and it was extremely annoying (kept dropping inside guitar). i'm so glad jackson have revised their import range (real emg's and seymour duncans).
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Obviously, you're going to have to add a battery too. Since that model has a pickguard and everything is front loaded, you have a problem. You'll have to cut a battery cavity in the back and get one of the snap-in battery holders. I wouldn't bother if I were you. Doing it to a guitar that has a rear electronics cavity is a lot easier. You can usually fit the battery in the control cavity.

Comment

If you buy a set like the Zakk Wylde, it will come with the jack/wires/volume(2)/tone(2) so youll be set if you have a battery and enough room to install it.

The kerry King set is the same as Zakk's but it has the PA2 boost which is an on/off switch that has a board with an adjustable pot to adjust the boost.

heres a link to a mod I did to add a PA2 without drilling an extra hole.
        http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52840

Comment

All EMGs come with everything you need to wire them up. You don't need to buy any special kit or anything. Just buy the pickup models you're interested in. They ship with pots, wires, screws, springs, battery clip and stereo jack.

You do NOT need to cut any holes in your guitar! Even if you have a front loaded guitar, there's no problem putting the battery in from the front. Countless people have had EMGs in front loaded RRs. Even if you have a model that requires you to take the strings off to get the pickguard off, you will still change strings WAY more often than you change the battery. No need at all to cut a battery cavity in the back.
          Last edited by Sunbane; 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM. Reason: stupid ass morning mood (sorry guys)

Comment

Sunbane, of course if you buy a new set you get all that you need but people often sell used pickups on their own without the rest.

And if you think having to unstring your guitar and unscrew 8+ screws to change the battery is a good idea, calling you a "moron" would be an insult to morons.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff300 View Post
              Sunbane, of course if you buy a new set you get all that you need but people often sell used pickups on their own without the rest.

And if you think having to unstring your guitar and unscrew 8+ screws to change the battery is a good idea, calling you a "moron" would be an insult to morons.
              So I guess David Gilmour, Kirk Hammett, Ike Turner, Vince Gill and anybody else with EMGs under a Strat pickguard are morons?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If that's how they change their batteries, yes.

Comment

Jeff and Dave, I'm sorry I called you guys morons - that was totally uncalled for. I offer you my sincerest apology. We just have different opinions on the matter.

I agree that unscrewing 8+ screws to get at the battery is...less than ideal. On the other hand, you will be changing that battery about once a year.

Comment

It's cool.

Comment

Thanks all for the information. I'll probably do it here in the next couple months. I'll post on how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                      X