Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation issues...

Hi Chaps,

I just recently had my Jackson put in for a proper set up again as it has been years and years since it was last done (badly). I also put it in because i felt there were some issues with the intonation which i have noticed recently (they may have been there before but i have been playing a lot more recently).

Now I have it back, the frets were re-dressed, fretboard oiled etc, the F-R blocked off (at my request) and the action adjusted nice and low but the same as before it went in, the bottom E fretted at 12 is sharp of what it should be when open, it is perfectly on pitch. This occurs on a couple of other strings but not all...i.e. top E open and fretted at the 12th are perfectly pitched. I am using super slinkys (9's).

Is this normal that some of the strings may not be perfectly pitched when fretted? Should i be worried?

Thanks

Are you sure they actually adjusted the intonation? If I understand correctly the intonation was off before you sent it in, and you got it back the same way?

Comment

I'd give them a call & tell them exactly what you just told us. If they're reputable, they should tell you to bring it right in & they'll take care of it while you wait. It should be a simple matter for them to make it right.

Comment

Just do it yourself. If the note at the 12th fret is sharp, move the saddle back, away from the neck. If the fretted note is flat, then you move the saddle towards the nut.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
          I'd give them a call & tell them exactly what you just told us. If they're reputable, they should tell you to bring it right in & they'll take care of it while you wait. It should be a simple matter for them to make it right.
          But did you happen to mention to the tech the Intonation was off ? The tech very well may not have noticed and if you didn't mention it to him he probably didn't think to check it too closely.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Just do it yourself. If the note at the 12th fret is sharp, move the saddle back, away from the neck. If the fretted note is flat, then you move the saddle towards the nut.
            Thanks - I may just do that as everything else that i could not do (fret dressing etc) has been done.

The other thing is that i have just acquired a mint 20 year old Marlin Sidewinder (yes, yes i know they are junk ;-) but it's for my office) but at present the bottom E lies on the frets even with the saddle on that string at it's highest setting (for decent action anyway)...so im guessing i might need to adjust the truss rod. Is there any do's and don'ts for this and any order of things? As far as i can see the neck is not distorted.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Well, the thing to keep in mind when doing anything with the trussrod is to take it slow and easy. I´ve always been recommended not tweaking more than 1/8th of a full turn, and then letting it settle a bit before doing another 1/8th... if I need to. Also check out if the nut is too low.

Comment

Managed to get my guitar back to the guy who originally set it up.

He said i had an extremely good ear :-) as it was only minimally out, probably due to the neck settling down after his work last week.

He has moved the saddles back (i couldnt find an allen that size) and now it sounds sweet

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Nice to hear it worked out fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X