New guitar recording thingy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar recording thingy?

Maybe you know what it is and who is making it...

I have a friend that told about a new simple guitar / studio recording thing. All he knew was:

It's a closed speaker box, not big, (probably with only one speaker inside) with a hole in it, where you can put in a microphone. It contains a normal speaker and maybe some kind of "power soaking" circuit (i'm guessing here). You connect it to your guitar amp like any other speaker cabinet, but this one is very quiet and it's purpose is for studio use, recording your guitar.

Does this sound familiar? I'm sure there's no rocket science inside this box, but the selling point should be a "perfect" tuning of the cabinet, which will benefit the recording.

Anyone heard of such a product?
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Is this it, H? Saw the ad in GW this month:

http://www.jlhproducts.com/axetrak/

Comment

Yeah, those are nothing new. Been around for years. I think Randall may have made one, too, at some point.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

aren't they called isolation boxes?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Damn $400? Seems like a good idea though, wonder how it sounds?
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Sounds pretty decent from the clips I heard. I may try one..
            The old Randall ones used regular mics I believe...

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              Is this it, H? Saw the ad in GW this month:

http://www.jlhproducts.com/axetrak/
              I think you got it, dg! Thanks, it fits the description I got pretty good. That has got to be it.

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
              The old Randall ones used regular mics I believe...
              This one does too, in a way. According to the page found by dg, the inside of the box contains a cardioid pattern dynamic capsule, which is just the inside of a regular dynamic mic like for example the SM57.
              Henrik

Comment

Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  aren't they called isolation boxes?

My understanding of an isolation box is a box you place over a miked combo amp, to isolate it a bit from the surroundings. Same thing as this one, in principal.
                  Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                    I think you got it, dg! Thanks, it fits the description I got pretty good. That has got to be it.

This one does too, in a way. According to the page found by dg, the inside of the box contains a cardioid pattern dynamic capsule, which is just the inside of a regular dynamic mic like for example the SM57.
                    \

But this one was supposedly tuned to deal with the sound pressures created in the closed box.. which I understand was the main thing that people who didn't like the Randalls criticized about them.

Comment

Interesting. Yes, the mic capsule placed inside this 75watt box has to be able to cope with a very high SPL.
                      Henrik

Comment

Caffery will be using the Randall iso cabs on the TSO tour.. he seems stoked. I can ask his opinion of them...

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                          My understanding of an isolation box is a box you place over a miked combo amp, to isolate it a bit from the surroundings. Same thing as this one, in principal.
                          just had a quick look at Wiki - your description of an isolation box is pretty right, although it could also hold a cab instead of a combo

what I was thinking of would be an isolation cabinet.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Okay, isolate the cab. Hmm... now that you say that, I think I've once seen someone use a very small room as an isolation box for guitar & bass cabs.

Btw. isn't Wiki written by mortals like you and me? I bet it's full of crap also

Here's one of the better entry's though:
                            The Rhythmist, a highly sought fictional model which is a companion to the Soloist. It is differentiated by having only a neck pickup, nine frets and is used exclusively for rhythm guitar work.
                            Last edited by jackson1; 10-20-2006, 11:18 AM.
                            Henrik

Comment

I'm waiting for the 11 fret Rhythmist, unless ESP comes out with the knockoff version first.

Comment

Working...
                              X