Anyone using GFS pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using GFS pickups?

I was taking a look around at www.guitarfetish.com and noticed that some of their pickups *look* really cool. Almost all the reviews I've read of them are very favorable. Due to the frustration I've been experiencing with a squealing Steve's Special, I'm tempted to try something like the GFS Dream 180 in its place. In experimenting with various pickups, I've found that I get better results with medium-output pickups in basswood or mahogany, this guitar being a basswood Dinky. There are some other DiMarzio and Duncan models that I haven't tried, but at half the price, the GFS line seems worth checking out.

Any GFS users here?
    sigpic

I currently have 2 guitars loaded with the GFS Crunchy PAFs. They sound very much like a Duncan Custom, but perhaps a little brighter. The output is amost identical. They sound fantastic in Les Paul type guitars. The other guitar I have them in, is an Aria Custom V, with what might be a maple body. The bridge pickup is a little too bright for my tastes. I think I'm going to try swapping it out for something better suited for a maple guitar. The pickups are extremely well potted, and very quiet. Plus, they come with pickup rings and screws.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM.
      Just a guitar player...

Comment

i have a couple of the gretsch clones - they sound really good.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I use a GFS Fat Paf in my LP. Not sure how it would sound in a basswood dinky, but it is pretty fat, and measures 13.8 on my ohms meter. If anything it would warm things up and add a little meat to your tone. Occasionally GFS sells their pickups starting at $0.99 on e-bay; I picked up my pair for $34. Check there and see if you can grab a few different ones to try.

Later,

Steve
          Guitars:
          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
          Amp:
          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
            Which GFS HB would you recommend for a DK2? I need a little more low end for metal rhythm work, but don't want a harsh high end.
            I haven't actually tried any of their other models yet. If you find one that's got a little more low end, let me know. I need one for my V. Maybe email Jay at Guitar Fetish, and ask him what he suggests.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
              I currently have 2 guitars loaded with the GFS Crunchy PAFs. They sound very much like a Duncan Custom, but perhaps a little brighter. The output is amost identical. They sound fantastic in Les Paul type guitars. The other guitar I have them in, is an Aria Custom V, with what might be a maple body. The bridge pickup is a little too bright for my tastes. I think I'm going to try swapping it out for something better suited for a maple guitar. The pickups are extremely well potted, and very quiet. Plus, they come with pickup rings and screws.
              dude just use a 250K pot with it?

anyway the GFS's are korean dupes of duncans for the most part
              and yes they are very good but let me ask this
              a GFS new shipped is about $30 and a used USA duncan can be had for $45
              which would you rather buy?
              that said the crunchy paf is basically a duncan custom and the crusader is a duncan invader duper
              Last edited by savage; 10-19-2006, 11:25 AM.
              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

not mine but here is clips of the crunchy paf dirty and clean
                http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS_WAV/H01DirtyB.wav
                http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS_WAV/H01CleanB.wav
                If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  i have a couple of the gretsch clones - they sound really good.
                  I was looking at the product review of those in GP and they looked very promising.. I have a project that could use hums in place of the singles of this style... good to know.

Comment

gfs interview

Originally posted by savage View Post
                    dude just use a 250K pot with it?

anyway the GFS's are korean dupes of duncans for the most part
                    and yes they are very good but let me ask this
                    a GFS new shipped is about $30 and a used USA duncan can be had for $45
                    which would you rather buy?
                    that said the crunchy paf is basically a duncan custom and the crusader is a duncan invader duper
                    Not all Korean:
                    "USA sourced- wire being used by our factory. We also spec out our magnets and coils very carefully, and source them from Europe and Japan"

interview with the GFS guy:
                    http://www.mojocaster.com/modules.ph...article&sid=62

Comment

Working...
                    X