Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the Dimarzio equivalent of the SD JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the Dimarzio equivalent of the SD JB?

Any idea?

Thanks!
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

i dunno for sure but you can never go wrong with a dimarzio super distortion.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Tone Zone, me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
        i dunno for sure but you can never go wrong with a dimarzio super distortion.
        I use one in my RG, great pickup.
        Guitars:
        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by BTB007 View Post
          Tone Zone, me thinks.
          Not even close. The JB is high mids and treble with less bass. The Tone Zone is more low mids and bass, less treble.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Not even close. The JB is high mids and treble with less bass. The Tone Zone is more low mids and bass, less treble.
            Doh! Alright, I don't know poop about Duncans I guess. But, I just did my homework.

The JB's specs are Bass 5, Mid 6 and Treble 8
            The closest Dimarzio is the Super 2 with Bass 4, Mid 6 and Treble 8

Comment

Yeah, that sounds about right. I love the Super 2 as a neck pup, but I think it might be too bright in the bridge. I also hated the JB when I had one in an old Hamer, but maybe I'd like it better in the neck.
              The JB was annoying to me, brighter than an EMG 81 (I usually prefer 85s in the bridge), but at least the 81 has some bass punch to it and doesn't sound thin.

Comment

Welp, I ordered a double cream super distortion, and already have a PAF for the neck.

We shall see!
                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Closest to the JB? Well to my ears the Dimarzio PAF Pro sounds like a "better" version of it at times.
                  I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn View Post
                    Welp, I ordered a double cream super distortion, and already have a PAF for the neck.

We shall see!
                    The Super Distortion is a real classic. I had 'em back in '78 when they came out and just bought a new one recently. In '78, I used to get hand written schematics from Steve Blucher, the Dimarzio guru besides Larry. It is definitely comparable to the Duncan JB. I think you will like the Super Distortion.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Actually The only DMZ sounds like a JB is the Evo2.But this is just regarding to EQ!Tone charts of SD and DMZ are not similar ,so it doesn't make sense to compare them on tone charts.The only Rival of the JB is his brother Duncan Distortion.But no DMZ will ever sound like the JB ,and vice versa!BTW ,JB is an ALNICO 5 PU ,wich is hard to find in Hi-output DMZ models!
                      www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                        BTW, JB is an ALNICO 5 PU, wich is hard to find in Hi-output DMZ models!
                        Hard to find an A5 magnet in a DiMarzio? Try the Tone Zone, Air Zone, Breed, Norton, Air Norton and Fred.

And the JB is one of the most overrated pickups ever. If you enjoy pickups with hardly any bass and mostly high mids and treble, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Hard to find an A5 magnet in a DiMarzio? Try the Tone Zone, Air Zone, Breed, Norton, Air Norton and Fred.

And the JB is one of the most overrated pickups ever. If you enjoy pickups with hardly any bass and mostly high mids and treble, go for it.
                          Norton's air zone breed and fred are not high output!as i claimed before
                          JB is not my Favorite anyways.I will change them ASAP when i get the KE2 ,and i don't meant that DMZ can never make one like JB or so!Both companies have their own way and they have allmost the same amount of fans!
                          www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

Eh, I guess technically they're medium- high, but close enough. With high gain amps nowadays, you usually don't need pickups to have so much output anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                              Norton's air zone breed and fred are not high output!as i claimed before
                              JB is not my Favorite anyways.I will change them ASAP when i get the KE2 ,and i don't meant that DMZ can never make one like JB or so!Both companies have their own way and they have allmost the same amount of fans!
                              The Norton might be listed as a medium output pup, but it has a higher output than the JB. I had both in Model 3a's, and side-by-side, the Norton was louder.
                              Seymour Duncan's can have more of a vintage/ old school flair, while DiMarzio's tend to be modern.
                              Just out of curiosity, why don't more folks use the Norton over the Air Norton? It seems you would have more options just by rolling back the volumn on the Norton, and doing volumn swells and such for lead work.
                              And for what it's worth, both the JB and Norton are two of my favorite pups.
                              Last edited by jabezcruz; 10-22-2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X