I need me some paintin' done...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need me some paintin' done...

I just got a pretty cool old Jackson. It's been played. It's got lots of finish dings and chips. Nothing into the wood though. I would like to get it refinished. The guy I've been using for years closed up shop not too long ago so I need some recommendations.

The guitar is a neck through with binding on the neck. I just want a solid color - probably a candy/metallic color.

I haven't talked to Lee about a time table but I know that he is beyond busy and I don't really want to wait forever. I've called and e-mailed Bighead a number of times and never gotten a response so he's out.

So who do you guys recommend? Is anyone here on the JCF up for it?
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Maybe Mark can look you out?
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
      Maybe Mark can look you out?
      That'd be cool by me. Let's just wait and see if he pops in to offer his services.

- Newc

Comment

Paul at Big Head? He takes 10-14 weeks for graphic jobs though. Maybe shorter for a solid color? He's still has one of mine. It's at 11 weeks now, but is going to be a Winter NAMM Bengal. The last one he did for me was pretty much a one off graphic and it was 14 weeks.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
          Paul at Big Head? He takes 10-14 weeks for graphic jobs though. Maybe shorter for a solid color? He's still has one of mine. It's at 11 weeks now, but is going to be a Winter NAMM Bengal. The last one he did for me was pretty much a one off graphic and it was 14 weeks.
          I guess you didn't read my post.

- Newc

Comment

Is 10-14 weeks too long? I thought that was short compared to Lee and others? You want fast-If you want it real fast and real nice, call Marty Bell, www.martybellfinishing.com Marty does some excellent paint work and his sparkle finishes are second to none. 1 to 1-1/2 week turn around time and that includes shipping.

So, there
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              Is 10-14 weeks too long? I thought that was short compared to Lee and others? You want fast-If you want it real fast and real nice, call Marty Bell, www.martybellfinishing.com Marty does some excellent paint work and his sparkle finishes are second to none. 1 to 1-1/2 week turn around time and that includes shipping.

So, there
              Ok, now you've read the post but you don't comprehend it

"I've called and e-mailed Bighead a number of times and never gotten a response so he's out."

That tells me they are not interested in my business. So I am happy to not give it to them.

Thanks for the pointer to Marty Bell though!

- Newc

Comment

Duh'oh Wow, I can't believe Paul has been that busy. He usually responds to my emails pretty fast.
                I think for solid colors, including metal flake and bursts, I'll be using Marty. Marty did my Jake E. Lee purpleburst. He even meets my painting standards. I'd do it for you, but I've decided to quit the painting part of building guitars. It is really such a hassle, but I love doing it though. It's like an addiction. Paint, paint and more paint.

Comment

Bengal... so this one is yours?
                  Frikkin nice!

-Rick

Comment

Sweet.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      Bengal... so this one is yours?
                      Frikkin nice!

Yeppers! That was an over the phone discussion with Marty. I sent him a bunch of pictures of solid pearl purplebursts and we discussed the shading. The guitar will change various shades of purple in different lights. Almost like the chamelon paints. I sent the unfinished body 2 day air on a Monday, he got it on Weds. and I had it back the following Wednesday!

He is so fast it's scary, but he uses a logical "secret" process to get the job done

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking seriously about having my custom shop Explorer redone with this paint scheme.

"POOP"

Comment

That is really wild looking. He's great with the flake finishes. He was doing almost all of G & L's production flake jobs for the factory awhile back. I don't know if he is still painting for G & L?

Comment

marty did a paint job for me recently. sadly, the mailman decided to dent it up. that said, marty's kickass and i'll be sending it back to him for him to fix and redo at no cost. nice guy.
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

the archives can be a VERY good thing! quite frankly, i am not too thrilled about the purple color on the most recent jackson i'd scored on ebay.

i'll have to give marty an e mail or call and see what color i'm going to have it sprayed. he's going to laugh his azz off when he sees it! very amateur job.

thanks for posting this.

Comment

Working...
                              X