Need help with rack gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with rack gear

So, I 'm trying out some rack gear. I have an ADA MP-1 preamp, Carvin poweramp, Furman power conditioner, and a Rocktron Intellifex. Can someone please tell me the most ideal way to connect the Rocktron? In's, out's...I'm so confused. By the way, I am running in Mono.

Thanks,
    Alvin
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

MP-1 -> Intellifex -> Carvin
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Thanks Tim. I tried that and all I got was loud popping and cracking. Scared the heck out of me. I'm no good at this line in/out stuff. I'll work on it some more. Thanks again.

Alvin
      MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

First try the MP1 into the carvin, pretty straightforword If that works, output on MP1 to input on the next in line, and so on.
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Popping and crackling? OK, this might sound too basic but please don´t get offended. It sounds like you´ve got some oxidation in the inputs/outputs somewhere, so you get a bad connection. Work the plugs in and out of the jacks a bunch of times and try firing it up again. Are your cables ok, by the way? You might have a "half break" somewhere, so the signal cuts in and out... comparable to quickly plugging and unplugging the guitar.

Otherwise... output of MP1 into Intellifex, then out to poweramp... just like Tim said. Don´t bother putting the Intellifex in the loop of the MP1. Also, keep all levels low at first... you might be overloading the input of the Intellifex if the output of the MP1 is cranked. But that shouldn´t cause popping.

Comment

Not offended at all! I appreciate any help I can get from you guys. Yep, my cables are good, just bought them new. I will try working them in and out like you said. Thanks again guys!

Alvin

Comment

I had some issues with a Aphex I owned, it too popped/cut-out every now and then. I finally found out that one of the clips on the input jack was bent and would loose contact once in a while. I bent the piece back to it proper position and things worked great from then on.

joe...
              www.godwentpunk.com
              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Ok, I tried working the plugs in and out as Dave L suggested. Still alot of popping and cracking. When I touch the input and output knobs on the front panel of the Intellifex, I get even more popping and cracking. Is something loose inside??

Alvin

Comment

When you touch them, but not turn them? Hmm... it could be that one or more of the pots have gone south. I had that happen to the volume pot on one of my guitars... when I touched the knob the sound went away for a bit, replaced by some severe hissing and popping. A quick replacement later everything was fine again. But all in all, if someone more knowledgeable doesn´t show up here to give you some proper advice I think you might be better off taking it to a tech for a look-see.

Comment

Take the lid off the Rocktron and hose the knobs with contact cleaner/knob spray (same as you'd use in the guitar).

My old GSP21 units do that, as well as my MP-1, and I have to clean the pots. Too bad the era of using sealed pots came too late

And I'd also recommend not running the FX unit through the MP-1's Loop. It's ok, but something just doesn't sound "right' about it.

Anyhoo, like Dave said, watch the Rocktron for any blinking red lights. Not sure what type of indicators it has - should be a red light that says Clip on it somewhere. If that lights up, it's a bad thing, you're overloading the Input, either by pumping too loud into the front or there's something in the Rocktron that is turned up too high (mix level, EQ settings, effect settings, etc).

I run my MP-1 into a Digitech TSR12, and keep the MP-1 Output knob set to about 12:00, and the Input of the TSR at 9:00, and the Output of the TSR between 3:00 and cranked (been experimenting lately, so stuff changes).
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks again guys. I will try spraying them today. If that doesn't do the trick, there is an authorized service location in Suwanee just down the street from my office. I'll take it there Monday.

Thanks for all the quick replies...I love this place.

Alvin

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
                        When you touch them, but not turn them? Hmm... it could be that one or more of the pots have gone south. I had that happen to the volume pot on one of my guitars... when I touched the knob the sound went away for a bit, replaced by some severe hissing and popping. A quick replacement later everything was fine again. But all in all, if someone more knowledgeable doesn´t show up here to give you some proper advice I think you might be better off taking it to a tech for a look-see.
                        Just wanted to give an update and say thanks for all the help you guys gave. I took the Intellifex to an authorized repair shop. The input and output pots had broken away from the board and needed to be replaced. I got the unit back Friday and I hooked it up today per hippietim's suggestion. Wow, what a great little unit. Now to see what this baby can do. Thanks guys!!

Alvin

Comment

coolness - glad it worked out for ya.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                          X