Boiled Linseed OIl...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiled Linseed OIl...?

Just trying to oil a Raw Wood Neck and saw the Sticky Page at the top of the Tech Q&A Page. Can I purchase Boiled Linseed Oil from Home Depot? Do I have to boil Raw Linseed oil myself? If so...for how long. Any info would be appreciated.

Home Depot, Lowes, any Hardware store has the stuff you need...

Comment

Originally posted by demonglory View Post
      Home Depot, Lowes, any Hardware store has the stuff you need...
      Thanks

Comment

Tru Oil is better than linseed oil (although it does contain linseed oil). Check with a local gun shop.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I prefer boiled linseed oil. For some reason, the 'boiled' means it has accelerants in it to make it dry faster. I did a few necks awhile back - one was tung oil, one was boiled linseed, one was tru-oil.

The boiled one dried faster and seemed to protect better - one neck that I tru-oiled I hit with boiled later, as it seemed to not wear as well.

I'd prefer either over straight tung oil though. That stuff takes forever to dry/not be sticky. Part of that may be the craptacular climate in oklahoma, but I could put several coats of boiled on a neck in the time it took for one coat of tung to dry.

Pete

Comment

Oh, and you can get Tru-Oil at K-mart in the sporting goods department.

Pete

Comment

I once used boiled linseed on a GMW neck that felt too raw to me. It turned out great, a definite improvement. Kind of gave it a hint of a vintage yellow'd look, too - that was a cool plus.

Comment

Tru Oil, then tru-oil gunstock wax... works great and seems to hold up pretty well.
                Boiled linsed oil smells pretty bad, but seems to hold up well. it WILL give a slight tint to the neck.

Comment

Working...
                X